make them proud

There was a knock on your door that woke you from your slumber. Your uncle's head popped through the door. He already had his hair done and make up on.

"Girl, I told you to wake up half an hour ago." He deadpanned.

You grunted and tossed in your sheets, ignoring the man. You buried yourself in the warm covers of your bed as you uncle face palmed.

"Sometimes I really wish you didn't inherit the night owl part from me." He sighs as he walks forward. "If you don't wake up right now, we're not going to the concert next week."

"Alright! I'm up!" You shot awake, almost falling off your bed since you were tangled in the sheets.

"Great! Now get dressed, eat some breakfast if you want, have your little teenage meltdown or whatever then kick some ass when you get to UA." Your uncle was quite the character.

He left your room, closing the door on the way out. You kicked the sheets off you and scrambled to your feet as you walked to your closet. You took your middle school uniform off the hanger and threw it on your bed. Once you got that on along with the socks and shoes, you walked out of your room.

You didn't usually eat breakfast, but since you probably needed the extra food for the exam (which you had searched the web for what it was about) you got some cereal and ate that. Your dog, Uggie, was sitting in his chair he made for himself. He was a border collie, and the best one out there.

Your uncle came around in the corner in a sweater vest and some pants.
"Okay, how's this for today?"

You looked over to him. "You need either a white or black long sleeved top underneath the vest."

He clicked his fingers before going back into his room. "I knew it!"

You finished your bowl and placed it into the dishwasher. You then went into your room and packed some clothes for the physical part of the exam. You shoved them into the depths of your bag and then slung it over your shoulder.
Before you could escape the house, your uncle came sprinting from around the corner, fasting than Usain Bolt himself. Uggie stood up, waging his tail and running after him

"Sweetie, if you think your going out the door with that hair, think again." He said, shutting the door and leaning on it before you could open it.

"What? It's perfectly fine." You objected.

"Yeah, if 'perfectly fine' meant the world's worst bed head." He retaliated.

"Wow, words of motivation." You roll your eyes.
"Oh come on, just let me have this!" He begged.

"Okay, fine. But nothing too...noticeable."

"You don't tell me what to do."

You were lucky that he only made your hair into a side braid that went into a ponytail. You had that look growing up, and most of the pictures with your parents, you had that hairstyle in, so it was your favourite, even if it was a bit childish.

"Alright! I'm leaving!" You waved off the glitter your uncle was trying to dump on your head. "Bye Uggie"

"Yeah, say goodbye to the dog!"

As you walked towards the front door, you passed the family picture of you and your parents. It was the last one you remember taking with them.
You were hanging off your father's shoulders, with a clear belting laugh on your face. Your mother, who was the most photogenic woman you could ever see, she was smiling and laughing as she tickled you. Your father was also laughing.

You picked up the photo frame and held it close.
I promise I'll make you proud.

Hearing the sound of your uncle coming, you placed the frame back down an walked to the door, bidding your goodbyes as you left to walk to UA. You could see the building from your house. You saw everyday when you left to go to your middle school.
Now, you were finally going to the school.