// 1. an encounter //

chapter song: an encounter - the 1975

matty's pov

( year 2007)

"do i look okay?" i asked while looking myself at the mirror in front of me, "yes sweetheart you look just great" my mum approved, i looked at myself one more time at the mirror and walked away towards the door.

"guess i'll see you later when i get home" i put on my shoes and held the doorknob, "be home safe" mum said and flashed a smile — a sweet one— and i nodded.

i twisted the knob and pulled it, once i was outside i began to feel the cold air touch my face. it had rain again in london, and i loved the smell after the rain has poured. quite comforting in some sort, in a sense of i don't know what.

i walked 2 blocks away from our home and saw people moving things in at house 102, guess a new neighbor is in. great house choice, that house is indeed beautiful.

as i was walking past house 102, i saw a girl — probably around my age or maybe a year younger — who was guiding the workers to where the furniture will be placed. she has a thin, silky, light brown hair, a face and a body with fair skin. i was dazzled.

maybe i was staring for too long, she looked my way and there, our eyes met. will things go in slow motion aside from us like some fuckin' ass movie?

i looked away, not meeting her eye contact — breaking it. i continued to walk away and finally got out to the city. where i was supposed to be going not until that new neighbor distracted me a bit. i mean, ain't her fault.

i went to a park where there were not many people, just the perfect amount.

i sat on one of the benches and looked around to see people walking their pets, some talking with each other, some not giving a fuck around and just staring somewhere far and some maybe just observing.

i was one of the observing ones.

"it's a bit cold innit?" an old lady said, i looked up to meet her face. she looks like she's in her mid sixties. "didn't really expect a rain to pour last night" i answered and chuckled at the thought that i hanged my shoes somewhere outside last night and didn't expect any rain, now it was soakin' wet.

"a perfect day to walk around and admire beauty" she let out a sigh but a happy one and looked at me, "well, i'm going now. take care young man." she tapped my shoulder and began to walk away from where i was.

i often see her around here at the park, but really don't interact. she will just be sittin' somewhere quietly, not a sound can be heard. maybe she's from the neighborhood somewhere and i just hadn't noticed.

a few hours has gone by and it was already afternoon, the gloomy sky was now filled with light. the sun has finally shined, i stood up and began walking my way to home.

as i was about to walk past house 102, the girl —the new neighbor— got out the door and went down the small stairs, the outside of the house has and was now walking towards me but with her head down looking at her phone. tapping here and there, probably was textin'

i looked at her while we were walking towards each other, seconds and seconds to getting closer. my mind got ahead of me and didn't made a move to avoid her and not bump at each other.

her head hit my chest and i suddenly came back to reality, she quickly looked up to maybe see who i was. her eyes went a bit big, probably startled by me or something, i have no idea.

"i apologize, silly me not to look where i'm headed" she quickly apologized and took a step back to make a little distance between us.

i stared at her for a bit, and forgot to answer. "oh no worries.." i said sounding more like a whisper. she gave me a little smile and continued to walk her way to i don't know where it'll be. what an encounter.

and i continued walking my way home, mum was probably waiting for me to arrive for lunch. i can make it in time.

finally reached the front door, i held the knob but didn't twisted it to open. i stared at the door for a minute and the girl's image flashed in my mind.

well maybe because she's new and 'm not used to her for now that's why 'm suddenly thinking of her, yeah that's it. i opened the door to be greeted with my mum's warm embrace.

"food's ready" and she went on to sit in her chair, my dad is not here with us for he passed away when i was 4, — and now 'm 17 years old, it's been a decade and three years since then. we learned to live with just the two of us.

my mum works as a nurse in a hospital, and me, well i've been in a band and composed songs since 2002. trying our best to achieve our ultimate dream, to be known and be one of the greatest band in london and in the world. we still have a long way to go.

i sat on my seat and began to dig in the food, it was delicious, i mean all of the dishes my mum made were fantastic. she's a great cook, wondered why she's not a chef as she loves to cook all the time especially for me.

after lunch was finished, i helped my mum clean the dirty dishes and went up my room, and flopped myself in the bed. the sun was still shining brightly outside, rain won't probably pour as the sun was enjoying himself up in the blue sky.

i took my guitar and started to play random notes out of boredom, the boys haven't called me or texted me. how odd, they usually would blow up my phone notifications but right now they're are being hella quiet, what's up?

i grabbed my phone to see if one of them had finally texted but to my disappointment i received none.

so i just stared up the ceiling and out of nowhere the doorbell rang. "MATTHEW SWEETHEART CAN YOU GET THE DOOR PLEASE!" mum shouted downstairs, was probably doing something. i wondered who might that be at this time of the afternoon.

i quickly stood up and went to get the door. i twisted the knob and opened it, to be unexpectedly greeted by this unexpected person.

"hello" she greeted.