Episode 20 : Return to Elshide? ; 1

"Grab your things. Were going to a party!"

Staring blankly at Lumine's excited face I forgot to question what the elven princess next to her was even doing so deep into human land.

Seeing my confused expression Alma asked "may we come in? It's awfully cold outside." A clump of snow fell onto the knights behind them and holding in my laughter I waved them in.

"What's the princess of the elven homeland doing in a cold place like this?" Alma opened her mouth to answer but was quickly stopped by a knight who answered for her

"The lady had matters to delegate as a witness and was sent to ensure fairness. Now that our business is concluded we are stopping to rest before heading to the portal system at the adventurers guild."

I already knew what they were doing this far north. Alma was acting as a mediator between Searig and Bandero so the two could come to a peaceful solution for peace and prevent war. Though judging by her expression and jagged edges of the knight's weapons they failed...

"Sounds problematic." Showing disinterest I motioned for them to follow "I'll take you to a waiting room and have the maids prepare rooms for you all. It's just me here currently so get comfortable."

my words must have sounded like orders as the knights showed obvious hostility to me but I let it slide. As we walked up the staircase a maid passed by and I told her what to do quickly running away.

Opening a door I looked into a reasonably sized lounge area. "This should do for the knights and ladies, right?" The knights walked in and searched the area before the two elves next to me could enter.

Lumine scratched the back of her head "sorry about them. They're on edge."

"Hmm? So don't play around is what you're telling me?." Lumine nodded and the knights gave the go for them to enter.

Once the two elves got comfy I asked the foremost question on my mind "so what are you doing with the princess, Lumine? Did you join them on their expedition up north?" Leaning atop the back of a sofa I asked nonchalantly facing them.

The knights were about to point their weapons at me but Alma raised her hand stopping them "how do you know about the peace talks?"

"The elven king isn't the only one who knows how to place mouths on birdies." The knights wanted a straight answer but kept silent seeing the interest on Alma's face "you still haven't answered my question."

"Ah sorry." Lumine was acting more nervous than usual "we met on the road after they were heading back home a few days ago. I was riding with a merchant's caravan after doing a job and was then invited to join them. Though they tried to refuse me at first." She grumbled the last part making it obvious the knights are still wary of her.

"Alright, I won't ask any further then." Some boundaries have to be respected. If I start asking about the peace talks things could get complicated considering her status.

With perfect timing, the maids came in and placed down snacks bringing spare clothes for the two girls and offering the knights a chance to let loose. The knights tried to refuse but after years of dealing with my mother, they were masters of persuasion.

They managed to take off the knight's armor and were now giving them back massages "miss Elgrave. Princess Inayarus. Rooms with warm baths have been prepared for your stay. Please follow me." The head maid was old but a very likable person with a cheery personality.

Even Thorn lets her look after him from time to time.

"T-thank you." Alma was caught off guard but quickly followed her alongside Lumine.