Episode 3 : Worst Birthday Ever ; 2

Cayde Barbaten POV:

I stayed the whole night unmoving, watching, mourning as the place I had come to call home burned in front of me alongside my master Dendra's body.

I had only felt this pain once before and that is when I pushed my friends away when they needed my help in the last life because I was foolhardy and knew not that my brother was still alive at the time thinking with the power I had I could protect them, I had regretted that then and I still do.

But this I did not, Dendra did this for me so I won't be scared to look back and say I never should have left when there is nowhere to leave from.

"Just why did it have to be in autumn? I used to love autumn. Now I don't even know anymore."

What made this day even worst was the fact I'm now seven years old, the supposed day of celebration of my rebirth in Laegii.

Huffing a heavy sigh I began to move "As far as birthdays go Dendra, I have to admit, you've given me even worst gifts."

I bowed to the ashes of my childhood home as it was now draped in sunlight from an opening in the red and orange trees

"I'll always remember what you taught me and never stray from the path I choose so long as I walk this earth in this body."

I turned finally facing my back towards the ashes of the past and took my first step alongside Lupra unto my journey looking for my family.

***
We wandered through the autumn forest heading towards the village slowly as I observed the orange blade almost my height in my hand swinging it a few times in both hands to get a feel for it.

It was very heavy but it was understandable as I'm still a child and not an adult. Otherwise, it fits in my hand like I had been holding it my whole life and I could feel a deep sense of familiarity with it.

I put it back in the ring and pulled out Dendra's now dead, colorless and cloudy scintilla along with the two silver pendants wrapped around it.

I gently caressed it researching it to see if it would give any clue as to how I could forge my own but it just turned out to be a rock with a thick fog inside it and nothing more.

I sighed tiredly unknowing what I should do "I really hope I'll be able to survive whatever come's my way Dendra. I feel so lost now that you're no longer here to guide me."

I emerged from the darkness of the red forest and into the dim sunlight of the open plains in the distance hidden behind grey clouds.

I removed the two necklaces from the scintilla and placed them back around my neck in hopes of using them as good luck charms, one y shaped and the other with three v's making it up, with the three void rings dangling above them.

"Let's go say goodbye to Lumine then for the last time Lupra."

The white wolf barked quietly and we both quickly walked over to the city but noticed a grim atmosphere in the air putting Lupra and me on guard.

We headed to Edward who looked to be napping in search of answers, to wake him up I threw a black ball at his head and watched as he stammered awake in a battle-ready position as the ball landed back in my hand and watched the gleeful surprise when he realized who I was

"Cayde! Oh buddy it's been so long since I've seen you, you've grown, haven't you? Your almost half my height now huh? How's your nana doing?"

My face quickly turned from a smile to a sorrow-filled expression "she's fine."

He noticed my pain and decided to switch topics "you wanna know what's happened since you left?"

I nodded in affirmation not wanting to speak.