Episode 0 : Awakening to new moons ; (1)

("Conquerer, why is autumn so special to your black heart?")

I panted heavily as I hobbled down the dark alleyway under the dark night, gradually stumbling down in the grim, hollow city where not even the birds sang, as the pain from the broken spear pierced in my stomach burning more with every breath I seized.

("I'm not sure. When i think of autumn I remember a horizon bathed in silver from when i was younger, my king")

My legs throbbing from the exhaustion of running tirelessly, at last collapsed, making me tumble onto a pile of garbage bags nearby as the alley lights above flickered above me and in my respite, I looked up to the black sky wishing to see the stars but could only see one bright red star in the dark sky.

"I did it Leonis, I avenged you. I just wish that the person who killed you wasn't your sister, Reyla."

My breathing grew more desperate, I could tell my time was coming.

My bloodied hand lifted itself away from the broken spear in my stomach and i saw the book covered in blood still held firmly in my grip, letting it fall out of my hand it blew open to a page where I could see the drawing of a king on a horse pulling back on a bow as it fell, splattering on the bloody floor and i read one of the lines from the blood soaked paper.

(Tell me conquerer, what is the fate of a story that is taken and read by a single broken star?)

Thinking on this singular line I looked down at my hands and contemplated my life.

All the tragedy that had filled it, all the burdens that I had taken on, all the people I killed to get to where I was... none of it was worth the regret I still felt after so long.

I laughed slightly as if l was insane.

I used to be a warrior... now I'm just some hermit hiding behind a throne giving whispers to the king... or was now.

"I guess... there is one more wish I would like to ask the stars for."

Squeezing my blood-soaked hands around the broken spear I pulled it out of my stomach with the last of the strength left in my body summoning it forth

Feeling it's metal edge cutting my inside I shouted out in agony and indignation at the pain

Once out I threw the blood smothered spear away, clanging on the cold stone floor, watching as blood trickled down my leg soaking itself into my black and grey rags clasping the wound with my hands quickly to try and quell the burning pain.

"My last wish... is to relive the life I failed, and not abandon those closest to me, I don't regret abandoning my family in this life, but my friends I do." I took in a deep haggard breath "I failed them when they needed me most."

Adjusting myself atop some trash bags I tried to get at least a bit of comfort to calm myself in my last moments before speaking again

"If I am reborn. I hope it's with a family who genuinely cherishes me."

Silence filled the air for a moment before I chuckled at my own foolishness hoping for a miracle to happen, I noticed my eyes suddenly felt heavy, death's hands were laid on me, waiting to take me.

I had no plan to fight it back as the lights that had guided my life had gone out long ago. Making me drift aimlessly with no end in sight in this ruined world.

It was only because of Leonis my last friend that I had not died yet, he saved me from depravity, so I became the blade that protected him during his life as a king before l retired and become a simple drifter passing through and telling stories from books l read.