Episode 20 : Distance from understanding ; 3

Chris had a confused look across his face as i continued to read my book. It was as if everything he'd been told about humans was a lie.

"Aren't humans generally more prideful? Why do you demean yourself?"

I ignored his question

"hey! Talk to me!" Chris walked over and started punching at my arms while i was drawn into my book. "Give me attention!" He tried pulling the book from my hands but failed falling butt first onto the grass. "Why are you ignoring me!?"

Finally moving my arm Chris grew excited but immediately felt betrayal as i munched on a bright red apple i pulled from my necklace.

Chris stared at me for a moment then got up from the floor and sat next to me reading the book. "The chronicles of iron? Thats a book you can only get in Dargon. How did you get it?"

The elf looked at me for an answer but i just crunched into my apple. "Ill just read with you then until you talk to me." He pulled my arm holding the book down and we read together.

He was able to keep up with my reading pace surprisingly but he did ask to go back a few times though i ignored him.

A few hours later as we continued reading more books to pass the time a door opened and an old man with grey hair and a goatee in a gown entered the courtyard "grandchild! What are you doing with that person?"

"Reading a book!" Chris shouted close to my ear "He has so many that aren't even in the royal library!"

my ear rang from the loud shout for a moment and by the time it stopped the old man was already in front of me. He didn't act indifferent like the rest of the elves but he wasn't demeaning either.

It looked like he was waiting for me to speak but i just flipped a page making him frustrated "hey go back. I wasn't done yet." With a sigh i did as Chris asked

If Chris is the to be king and is calling the old man grandpa then that must mean he was the former elven king Isaac Inayarus whose notorious for being a battle junkie.

"Alright I'm done." After Chris spoke he left the bench going behind the old man onto the arena.

The old elf just continued looking at me until i finally closed my book unable to concentrate anymore "can i help you?"

The old man smirked and looked at Thorn "you have an interesting pet, almost as interesting as you are." My eyebrow raised questioning what he was implying "and if what I've been told is true you have two more interesting pets and are highly adept with weapons."

"If you need help finding a sparring partner I'm sure one of the royal protectors nearby would be enough."

Irritated by my words the old man picked me up taking my feet of the ground holding me by the back of the collar. "You remind me a lot of a certain half elf with white hair and a terrible personality."

Shit. Dendra told me how she caused mayhem in Elshide once.

"What is your relation to, Dendra the conqueror?"

Thorn opened his eyes and grinned waiting for a fight. "She was a crazy old hag that kidnapped and trained me. What of her?

the elf stroked his short goatee and carried me onto the arena "really now?" He dropped me and pulled out an ordinary sword "what techniques did she pass on to you?"

I took a step back showing my lack of fighting spirit. If i get in trouble now Lumine really will scold me and this elf may be old but he's no joke. If i use attrium the fight would end quickly as well and I wouldn't be able to talk my way out of how i won. "I shouldn't of come." I breathed with a sigh