Episode 17 : the trip ; 2

"This is rather impressive." Ronik looked out the steam trains window while I was busy consulting a map with various ruins locations while wearing my white laughing bird mask.

At first, to get into the Preirig field trip I asked one of the upper years to allow me to join but all their spots had filled up. I then tried with Ned as he owed me a favor but he denied saying it would go over budget. Then I tried to ask the teacher if I could join to help out as an assistant but when I saw who was running it I immediately walked away without saying anything.

Not with many other choices I was only left with taking a false sick leave and doing the fabled adventurer act. If I'm lucky I'll be able to catch up with the students that left yesterday and do some looking about in other ruins as well before I have to rush back for when the weekend break finishes

"Master, look. We can see the sea from here." Gazing up from my map I looked out the window to see the glistening sea "I must say this brings back some rather... unpleasant memories."

"Yeah... the last time you were in Preirig you were destroying the place."

Not knowing how to act now Ronik sadly pulled his claw up the chair's seam. Feeling a little sorry for him I placed my hand atop his floating head.

This eased him as he was no longer exuding his sadness. Starting to regret only bringing him instead of the other two I questioned if it really was okay to bring him here... I wonder how they're doing anyway? I left them behind so no one would get suspicious but it's another matter if someone breaks in.

Meanwhile Thorn and Lupra:

"Papa~!" Lupra's sad howls for Cayde continued for hours until she got tired while Thorn just slept not even aware of Cayde's departure ignoring all who came knocking at the door.

Back at the train:

"I'm sure they will act within moderation master."

slightly comforted by Ronik's words I let myself breathe "I hope so"

the train driver's voice then spoke through the train's speakers "We will soon be arriving at the goat clans territory. All passengers be aware and ready to get off."

That's good news. That's exactly where we are heading. Seeing the city quickly approaching through the windows Ronik jumped inside the soul veil as I stood up.

I had to leave at midnight to try and catch up with the students that left yesterday but since they're all staying in a hotel I should be able to leave the ruins before they even get there. I should be able to scour a few more on my way back as well.

The train then grinded to a halt and feeling the torque I was shaken off balance for a moment. Confused I looked through the window to see we were right outside the city but some sort of fluffy animal was blocking the tunnel to head in.

"That's annoying."

"Master what should we do? We are just outside the city so I see no harm in getting off here."

"I was just thinking of doing that. I've already paid to get on the train so I doubt they'll care how I get off." I walked down the train's corridor until I arrived at a closed door.

Using brute strength I opened one of the train's side doors and jumped down to the green earth before the door magnetically returned to its closed position.

It was interesting to see but I was in a hurry and didn't want to draw any more attention

"Hey, you! Stop!"

Surprised from hearing the train attendant's voice I immediately infused mana into my leg muscles and began sprinting into the distance leaving a giant cloud trail behind me.