10- unexpected

"Maybe yes? I don't know!" I said

All of it hit me now. My brothers, my blood, the people I live with, my legal guardian, my family.

They are murderers.

Their work is to kill people. They are bad people.

I find it hard to believe but they always say it's always hard to accept the truth. And I am having trouble accepting this. I know deep down it's true.

I am twirling my gun between my fingers. Feeling a bit safe, a bit in control of my safety.

They are all looking at me in amusement and curiousness. What's amusing them for god's sake? They are so scary!

It's not my brothers that scare me, it's the idea of them, it's what they do.

It makes sense. The guards everywhere. Joe calling Leo "capo". They speak Italian, we are Italians. The Italian mafia.

They are the Italian mafia.

'To protect you.' To protect the mafia princess? Who is me?

I get it now. I understand. But am I in control? Not really. That scares me.

It's all about control.

"Be careful with that gun in your hands. We don't want you to hurt yourself." Lorenzo said composed, acting as normal as possible.

While I am having a war inside out. I am sure I look like shit. I reek of alcohol and cigarettes. The clothes I am wearing are too baggy for me because I still didn't change of my brother's clothes. My cheeks are red and puffy from tears. My eyes are glaring as I am thinking.

This is got to stop. Even if I am not in control. I need to act like I am. So I took a deep breath. I sit on the floor. I bury my face in my hands to compose myself. To give myself a minute.

Now, I look up, all of them looking at me confused, curious -and angry, that's Marcello-

But I look at the leader. "Who are you?" I ask him.

"You know who I am." He answers.

"Do I?" I ask raising my eyebrows.

"I think you do now." He said. He caught on, he knows that I know.

"So it's true? I just want to hear it." I ask giving him my coldest face. But deep down, I am gonna faint.