A Silent Game | 1 📚

It was a lazy afternoon for Zoro and Luffy as they were assigned a mission at the most uninteresting location they could think of: A Library.

While most people who enjoyed reading, such as their friends Robin and Nami, were usually seen in places like these, Luffy showed very little interest in books, much less did his first mate, Zoro.

"Stop being so loud." The Swordsman shushed Luffy as he noisily popped open a bag of potato chips, glaring at him with annoyance.

"Make me." Zoro raised an eyebrow at the younger, questioning his sarcastic reply.

"Is that a dare?" His implications lead Luffy to growing curious while cooking up an idea in his head. As a result, he nodded.

"Game on then, but let's change it up."

"Your call, whataya wanna play." Luffy suggested, his eyes squinting as a smile grew bigger his face.

Because his bickering with Zoro lead them to doing something amusing, he no longer felt bored like he did before.

"Let's play a 'Silent Game', how about it?" Zoro chucked a bottle of water at the boy so that he could down the vast amount of chips he had shoved into his mouth before.

Once his mouth wasn't occupied, Luffy agreed on playing along with Zoro's game, asking him to start it. After all, he was the one who suggested it in the first place.

"It's like playing "Truth or Dare", only we can't make noise. So if I were to give you a dare in which you feel like laughing or screaming, you have to stay quiet."

"Same goes to you, right?" The older man nodded, being momentarily interrupted by Luffy.

In the end, they both agreed on not making any noise, no matter what dares they were faced with, and thus, the game commenced.

"Truth or Dare?" Zoro asked.

"Dare!" Luffy chuckled, excited to see what ridiculous task he would be faced with.

"Deal. I dare you to lick one of the books. You won't do it." He grinned, watching as Luffy opened up one of the dusty Library books and ran his tongue across one of the pages.

In that precise moment, a child who was walking passed them, stopped to stare at Luffy.

"Eww!!" She slowly put her book back on the shelf and ran away, disgusted. This made Zoro and Luffy crack up in silence.

"My turn, I dare you to-"

"I didn't say I was picking dare, did I?" He asked, making the boy pout.

"Fine, Truth or Dare?" The boy rephrased himself, to which Zoro still ended up picking a dare either way, just to piss him off.

"I dare you to balance these heavy books on yourself without letting them fall on the floor." Zoro accepted
his dare without hesitation.

"Hmm... Three-books style!" Instantly, the heaviest book fell on Luffy's head and created a large bump on his head.

"Stick to swords next time." He rubbed his forehead, making the older man laugh.

As their game went on, the dares got more and more difficult.

"I pick truth this time, Luffy. I still have paper cuts on my hands from the last dare you gave me." Zoro pointed at all of the cuts and scratches he received from the books.

"Is it true that you're very conservative?" That unexpected answer left the older man something to think of for awhile.

"Where'd that come from all of a sudden?"

"Just askin', no reason." Luffy shrugged, yearning for an answer.

"Erm.. No, then. Not really."

"Then you wouldn't be self-conscious in- Never mind, wait. It's my turn now." His undelivered response made Zoro put a stop to their game for a second.

"What's eating you, eh?"

"I pick truth!" Luffy was quick to change the topic, but Zoro caught onto it even quicker.

"Alright, tell me what you're holding back on saying right now." He noticed how tense the young man's shoulders had gotten as he struggled to speak.

"Know what, dare. I pick dare."

"You sure you wanna pick dare?" Zoro teased, driving Luffy to a final decision.

"Yup, definitely dare."

"Okay then, I dare you to tell me the truth." Using reverse psychology on the boy's simple minded brain, Zoro was able to trick him into saying the truth, leaving him with no way out.

"The truth? I forgot about what we were saying before, haha!" Thinking that Zoro would eventually forget as well, Luffy trusted in his instincts.

But he was wrong in trusting what his mind was telling him, because the older man continued talking about the same subject.

"I haven't forgotten," He tucked his hand underneath the boy's chin. "What am I too 'self-conscious' about doing."

"O-oh! That?" The younger was starstruck under Zoro's touch, letting his secret be exposed to him.

~~~

"So, what do you say?" He giggled, seeing the look on Zoro's face slowly alternate from a smile to a worrisome expression.

"Luffy," he moved closer to the younger, keeping his voice down. "That's by far the craziest idea you've ever had." Luffy frowned in disappointment.

"So, you don't wanna do it?"

"Of course not!" The masculine man grumbled.

"Even if I "dared" you to doing it?" Hearing the word "dare" tempted Zoro, but it wasn't enough to convince the man into falling for Luffy's wicked scheme.

"Forget it. Let's just keep on trying to find those books we came here for. See it anywhere?"

Prior to playing their Truth or Dare game, Zoro and Luffy had unintentionally made a mess, making one of the bottom bookshelves collapse on top of them.

Because of this, the hardwood books they worked so hard on finding for Nami had gotten mixed up.

"Let me check under the table, be right back."

"Good luck."

~~~