Stray Cat | 2 🐈

After dinnertime was over, Zoro thought it was best to let the cat out of his apartment.

"Wake up, little guy... At least, I think you're a boy." He guessed, wiggling the stray animal until it was awake.

The cat covered its eyes with its paws, purring loudly as their sleep was disturbed.

"Sorry, I can't keep you. Come on, get out." The man pushed it off of the couch, to which the furry cat reacted by jumping right back up, growing fond of sleeping on the comfy piece of furniture.

Zoro continued to battle against it, but grew exhausted by the stubborn animal only a few minutes into arguing with it.

"GET. YOUR. ASS. OUT." He reached for his swords then looked back at the poor cat while it backed away from him.

Zoro didn't have the heart to injure such a defenseless animal, especially seeing how malnourished and weak it was.

"What time is it?" He wondered, turning his head to face the digital clock on his stove.

The time read: 10:00 a.m. It was already dark out, not to mention the unforgiving coldness outside of his apartment.

Still, that didn't mean he would let the cat remain in his house for a whole night, so he stood up, opening the door.

The cat was dragging its red hoodie along its cold paws, slightly tripping over it.

What a clumsy cat, thought Zoro who had no plans on letting it stay in his living room any longer.

Suddenly, a large group of older looking cats circled the area, appearing to await for something or someone unknown to Zoro.

However, he noticed how stressed out the little cat seemed to have gotten when seeing the other cats outside.

"What. Don't tell me you're afraid of your own kind, are you?" The cat hunched its back, lowering its head down with visible fear in its eyes.

"They won't do anything to you, go on. Get out of- What was that?!" Both Zoro and the cat rushed to the window near his living room entrance, staring at a large group of cats that had all gotten into a violent fight.

The amount of savagery he viewed from his window made Zoro second guess what he had told the cat before, and with the look the innocent animal had given him, he couldn't turn him away.

"One night. You get one night, but you leave by tomorrow morning. How's that sound?" Zoro flinched when the cat started meowing loudly, rubbing its head against the palm of his hand.

"I'll take that as a 'Thank You'." He laughed, growing amused by the cat's oddly high amount of intelligence.

Normally no stray cats or dogs have ever been so quick to respond, let alone, give a clear answer. But here he was, talking to a completely random cat he had no knowledge of.

Without hesitating, Zoro walked upstairs to his bedroom, preparing a cushioned bed made of pillows he didn't really ever use, just for the cat to spend the night in.

He then prepared his own bed, and got inside of it, stretching his aching arms out.

Before he could turn his lamp off, he felt something purring in his ear, right beside him.

"You little sneak, that's just taking advantage of my hospitality, y'know?" He complained, rubbing the yellow cat's head as it coiled itself on Zoro's chest, where it remained the rest of the night.

Having no choice but to leave him there, Zoro eventually fell asleep as he continued running his hand through the cat's soft fur.

The night grew darker and the temperature dropped significantly inside of the house, causing it to get very cold. This made Zoro snuggle closer to the cat without even realizing it in his sleep, as its animal fur kept him warm, and the heat of Zoro's skin kept the cat from shivering.

Before he knew it, they were both sound asleep, until the very next day.

~The following morning~

9:30 a.m.

The sun greeted Zoro first thing in the morning, making him squint his eyes as he wasn't used to such brightness in his apartment.

"Mmm, what a peaceful rest." He woke up with a start, feeling hunger settle in his stomach as he walked to the kitchen.

Behind him was a cat who's tail was wiggling more than usual, expressing its happiness by doing so.

"I almost forgot," he walked to his door for the last time, inviting the cat to leave once more. "That's it, I said one night only." The cat then frowned, shaking its head.

"For a cat, you have more personality than all the others around here, if only you had a name- Uh, I mean, not that I'd call you by it. I just thought you needed one." He shook his head, closing the door behind him.

Assuming his everyday routine, the man served himself a cup of coffee instead of alcohol for a change, then walked back to the door after forgetting to lock it behind him.

"Luffy." He heard a voice call out from the other side of the door. This phased him, so he hummed in response.

"My name is Luffy."

~~~