In the Nick of Time

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Story Link :

https://justcourttee.tumblr.com/post/649394238310727680/hiiiii-i-dont-know-if-you-take-prompts-or

Masterpost Link :

https://justcourttee.tumblr.com/post/628382470392479744/the-ultimate-masterlist

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The continuation of A Moment Too Late

《○》《○》《○》

Damian took his first step into the city of love at 4:00 pm.

He had a general idea of where to begin, but the combination of no sleep and jet lag was taking its toll. He had tried reaching out to her several times on the flight over, but she ignored his every effort. It could have just been the fact that she was in her classes. She may have been suicidal, but maybe she still took her education seriously?

It wasn't likely, but it helped put his mind at some ease, hoping he still had time. His first order of business was renting a car. Technically speaking, his father had a villa on the outskirts of the city with a multitude of cars to pick from, but seeing as no one knew where he was, he wasn't eager to tip them off.

He gazed over the taxis lined up, eagerly looking to take advantage of the tourists piling out of the airport behind him. He didn't want someone too eager, he just needed someone who looked on the brim of exhaustion. His eyes landed on a poor man propped against his car, his eyes drooping like Tim before his first cup of the day. Perfect.

"Excuse me sir, but I'd like to rent your car from you for the day."

The man peeked one eye open as he glanced warily over Damian.

"Scram kid, it's a package deal, me and my car. You can't just rent one or the other-"

Damian smirked as the man snatched the bundle of money from his hand, popping off the taxi light that stood on top of his car. As Damian slipped into the driver's seat, he motioned for the man to step back over.

"Here's a couple of extra bills to catch yourself a taxi home."

The man's mouth gaped as if he was searching for air underwater. Damian didn't even bother to see if he would step back from the curb as he pulled off. The one benefit of the agonizing six-hour flight was Tim's laptop. Damian had managed to hack into each of the high schools around the city until he narrowed it down to three Marinette's. After looking at approximate ages and distance, he assumed she had to be the first; one Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

Her family owned a bakery a little less than a mile from the high school and on the off chance she hadn't stayed for any clubs or activities, she should be arriving there at any moment. Damian tapped the address into his phone ignoring the multitude of messages he had between his father and Dick.

It was a simple fifteen-minute drive from the airport.

Damian exhaled sharply as he sped down the exit. Fifteen minutes was enough time. It had to be enough time.

《○》《○》《○》

"Welcome to the bakery! Is there anything I can interest you to today?"

The woman's face wore a mixture of fake smiles and exhaustion. It might've been enough to fool the average customer, but to Damian, she simply looked at one gust of wind from collapsing.