The Great IKEA Game - Chapter 10

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Story Link :

https://batsandbugs.tumblr.com/post/649905989244649472/the-great-ikea-game

Masterpost Link :

https://batsandbugs.tumblr.com/post/644566288413392896/great-ikea-game-masterlist-you-can-read-it-here-on

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Out of the Frying Pan, and Into the Fryer

"Excuse me? Excuse me, sir, I need to talk to you." An annoyed, high-pitched voice cut through Marinette's impending panic. Her eyes flew open in shock, revealing the still dark cabinet. They hadn't been discovered.

Who the hell was this?

"Um..." Dick's muffled voice said, hesitating before answering. "I'm sorry, can I help you?"

The voice scoffed, "Uh, yeah that's your job, isn't it? Do you realize how long it took to find a competent employee in this maze of a store?"

Oh.

Oh no.

This could not...

Was this actually happening?

"Listen," Dick dragged out the word. "I'm kinda in the middle of something here, so-"

"Excuse you, I'm kinda trying to find out why these names don't make any sense; this is America I should be able to read this - it's English right?"

Dick cleared his throat. "Well- no, actually this is a Swedish store, it-"

"Ugh, why didn't they change the names so paying customers can read it? Look, you have to help me find my stuff here."

Marinette bit her lip to stop crying out; oh, dear god, what was this woman on?

"Ma'am, really, I'd love to help-" Dick sounded like he would rather stick a knife in his eye than help the unpleasant woman. "But I'm busy so if you could just find another employ-"

"No, I will not just find another employee. You're the one here and being ridiculously rude to a paying customer. Who's your manager? I bet if they were here you wouldn't treat me this way."

Marinette's eyes stretched open in shock, her mouth gaping.

Damian shifted closer to her, his head coming down to her face. A warm breath hit her cheek as he whispered into her ear. "I am unsure whether to appreciate this woman's excellent timing or to smack her upside the head for her absurdity," he whispered softly. Pure panic at near-future discovery and reflexive sympathy for Dick stuck on an entitled customer's bad side, combined together for an odd sensation in Marinette's chest...

...And nothing to do with Damian's lean and solid frame pressed against her like sardines in a metal can. Nope, absolutely nothing to do with that. Marinette strongly resisted the urge to shift, fully aware of where she stood in relation to certain, uh... certain body parts.

Wait. She needed to focus. Yeah, focus on the crazy lady and Dick standing literally feet outside the inescapable hiding place.

"-And another thing!" Oh wow, the woman hadn't stopped talking. "If you have the audacity to stand there and refuse to help me, I swear I will get you fired from this store and put on your permanent record."