Tattered Remains of Broken Dreams (Yours, not Mine)

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Story Link :

https://unmaskedagain.tumblr.com/post/189007005807/tattered-remains-of-broken-dreams-yours-not

Masterpost Link :

https://unmaskedagain.tumblr.com/post/190319245732/masterpost

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The pieces were scattered across her desk. Marinette had known something was up the moment she stepped into the classroom. Everyone had gone quiet. A few had glared at her. Some had snickered. And they all watched as she walked to her desk.

Nathanial had tried to wave her down; shaking his head with sorrow in his eyes. He had gotten there a few minutes before she did.

It took her a few seconds to recognize what the torn pieces of what had been weeks of hard work.

Once she realized what it was, Marinette wondered if it made her a bad person that she wanted to smile. Because while she honestly wanted to feel bad, all she felt was a relief. Like ten tons of weight had just been lifted from her shoulders.

Marinette looked at her desk, pulled out her phone, took a picture, and then sent several texts.

Then she shrugged, tossed the mess into a nearby trashcan, and pulled out a fresh sketchbook.

The other students, the ones who had waited for a reaction, were stunned. Where were the tears? The rage? Anything?

"Don't you care?" Alya yelled, frustrated with her ex-bestie. "Your sketchbook was destroyed."

Marinette glanced up at her, "No. A sketchbook was destroyed. My sketchbook with all my worthwhile designs in safely locked away at my house. You all," She looked around the classroom; memorizing every face. Lila looked particularly bewildered because she had wanted to see the Asian girl cry. " Destroyed my school sketchbook; the one I use for school-related events designs from various classmates, plans for birthday parties, and the like."

"But you worked so hard," Rose said.

Mylene nodded, "You worked in it every day for months."

"Yeah, it sucks," Marinette shrugged. "For you."

That got everyone's attention.

"What do you mean for us, Dudette?" Nino asked.

Marinette sighed, "The sketchbook was filled with all the projects that were either requested by people in this room or were for people in this room. By destroying it, I can no longer do any of those projects," She explained. "I did it in my free time. As my main work schedule is full of commission I'm actually being paid for. I don't have time to redesign or remake those sketches. So I sent texts to Bustier, Luka, and anyone else involved that I can no longer work on their specific project."

The other students blinked.

Marinette rolled her eyes, "That means I can't do the costumes for the school play," Mylene and Sabrina gasped. "No new outfits for Kitty Section." Rose and the other members of the band got tears in their eyes. "I can't do the set design for Nino's next gig." The boy in questioned paled as he had been counting on Marinette's design skills to wow the crowd. "The new design layout for the Ladyblog is canceled." Alya clenched her fists. "The costume for Mylene's short film is too. I had to back out of the school fundraiser. Let the Coach know I can no longer do any banner work. Or design the new team uniforms." Alix and Kim's mouths dropped. "Max's Game-Con costume is out of the question now." Max visibly deflated. "Ivan's mom's gift for her birthday is out too; pity that dress was so beautiful." Ivan gasped. "I can plan any birthday parties or make custom cakes. The charity work you wanted my help with, I can't do. My idea for the school trip to New York city is canceled as all my contacts and trip itinerary ideas are gone. I let Bustier know that I'll be too busy to be class president so she'll have to assign someone else the role. The dresses for the school dance you girls requested, I can't do anymore." She shrugged again. "Oh well."