A Moment Too Late

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Story Link :

https://justcourttee.tumblr.com/post/636421855354486784/daminette-soulmate-au-where-damian-really-doesnt

Masterpost Link :

https://justcourttee.tumblr.com/post/628382470392479744/the-ultimate-masterlist

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The first time Damian had heard the voice of his soulmate, he was only six years old. Her indecent squeals distracted him from the oncoming blow earning him a black and blue cheek and a week of cleaning duties for failing to end his opponent.

He hadn't let anyone know what had happened, after all, the league had forbidden contact with the outside world, soulmate bonds included. Damian recalled seeing hundreds of men and women die for contacting their soulmates or allowing them to become distractions that led them astray from the League's mission. Just because he was the grandson of the Demon Head, it didn't mean anything in regards to the rules.

So he did his best to block out her thoughts or outbursts, only focusing on his current tasks, silently begging her to block him out as well. It worked for a little while, but as they aged, she seemed to become more observant of his silence.

He was eleven years old when his mother first discovered that he had been on the receiving end of his soulmate bond. Marinette, as he soon learned, was trying to coax him into a conversation when Damian snapped, begging her to shut up. The very next day, he found himself drugged and on a boat floating in the dock of Gotham City.

Never once did he blame his mother for his predicament. No, she was just trying to protect him. After all, if his grandfather had found out, Damian would have been beheaded in front of the others. The only one to blame was Marinette.

The next time she would contact him would be her last. She tried to reach out, ask him if he was okay, but the sentiment only fueled his rage.

"Don't you get it? I never wanted this bond! I begged you mercilessly to leave it alone. I begged you to shut up, but you just couldn't could you? I lost everything because of you, you hear me Marinette? If you just would've shut your damn mouth, I would still be able to see my mother. I hope you never use this bond again, I never want to hear from you again."

There was no response, but it didn't bother him. This was what he wanted for so many years, for her to never utter a sound to him again. It was a blessed day, one filled with silence as he entered Wayne Manor for the very first time. 

《○》《○》《○》

"Grayson, can you stop mumbling to yourself? You look like an idiot."

Dick reached back, swatting at where Damian once stood, the goofy smile on his face not wavering.

"Oh little D, you just don't understand. If my soulmate wants to talk, I'll drop everything to take a moment for her."

"A truly asinine thought, really."

Damian rolled his eyes as he perched on the edge of the roof, gazing lazily over the darkened city streets. Personally, Damian wasn't too fond of his brothers using their bonds while on patrol. It was as if they didn't understand how much of a distraction it could be. No, it was much better to set boundaries, let them know where they stand.