Chapter 191

Around The Desert #1

The Meuse Desert, located in the midwest of the continent and southwest of the Austen Kingdom, was highly notorious. The ‘Great Drought’ had irregular periods of huge sandy winds, bringing the famine to the entire central area as well as Austen.

In the early days of the Meuse Desert, it was only the size of three or four small estates. After hundreds of years, it became an ant pit which had taken half of Austen’s land. It was from that time onwards that it became known as the Meuse Desert.

In the founding myths of Austen, the one who killed the founder, and was eponymous with a disaster, had been Meuse. The people of the desert kingdom had begun to believe that a grudge held by the mythical creature was turning the earth dry. They couldn’t accept that this unreasonable disaster was merely accidental misfortune.

It was different to the saying, ‘disaster occurs when good luck changes directions.’

Thanks to the sacred nature of the Sultan, the people of Austen could fight against the drought as a type of ‘enemy.’ If the drought stopped for a while, they would say that they were victorious, and when the drought resumed, they would say that the evil spirits had risen again.

[It is a battle of patience! Fight for the Sultan!]

According to Austen’s doctrines, warriors would die and go to heaven, where they would receive beautiful women and mansions. Therefore, the peasants, who were jealous of the warriors, were bound to fall for the lure.

It wasn’t about fighting with a sword on the battlefield but about being able to go to heaven after death! Some fanatics even starved to death, despite having plenty of food and water.

This was Austen, a country which was barely breathing due to being distorted by piety. The Meuse Desert was also a refuge for those who considered the Sultan as a false god and wanted to avoid the noose.

Entry to the Meuse Desert, land of the evil gods, was prohibited. Therefore, there were no signs of anybody at the entrance. However, the situation was different today.

Flash!

A light abruptly appeared out of thin air where only hot sand, a burning sun, and dry winds were present. Naturally, the light which emerged from the air was Meltor’s investigation team.

The Red Tower Master Veronica, the four members of Quattro, and Mujak appeared 30 meters in midair, but the party landed easily with no confusion. It would ridiculous if strong people like them were damaged by a fall from this height.

Theodore and Mujak chose to strengthen their bodies, while the others used magic. Among them, Veronica was the last to arrive.

Kung!

Despite the sand piled up to her ankles, the landing was quite loud due to the object she was carrying. It was a carriage, the fruit of a collaboration between the White Tower and Yellow Tower. The four wheels of this carriage rolled with magic power instead of horses.

Mujak opened his mouth and spoke in a trembling voice, “W-We really moved here instantly… Meltor’s national power is hard to fathom.”

It was natural for him to feel fear. To think that it was possible to instantly teleport to the Meuse Desert in the midwest of the Central Continent, which was also Austen’s blind spot? This was an impossible feat without the White Tower Master. However, Mujak didn’t know this and felt like it was a demonstration that Meltor could destroy Austen anytime they wanted.

Then Veronica laughed cheerfully. “So, be careful okay? Rats can die without even knowing the cause.”

“… I will be careful.” It didn’t sound like a joke to Mujak, who nodded seriously. After all, Veronica was the one who had nearly killed him once. Thanks to that, the atmosphere became cold. His body was tied up by the Geass Scroll, but their relationship was bad, so he still couldn’t be trusted.