Chapter 44

I Ask You #1

Theo’s expression changed subtly at Randolph’s words.

‘After returning home in five years, I get an identity check.’ Theo couldn’t laugh or feel angry.

Randolph grunted and scratched his head as he interpreted Theo’s expression in his own way. He understood that it could sound quite rude to verify a person’s identity after they had helped him. “I don’t want to be fussy. But looking at the situation, it is hard to let you pass easily without checking. It will just be a brief verification.”

“Yes, it is understandable.”

They were fighting a group of undead in a corner village like the Miller Barony. Theo didn’t know why the mercenaries were in this place, but now wasn’t the time to question it. Theo first needed to gain Randolph’s trust and enter the village.

Theo pulled out the investigator’s badge and the certificate that he had received from the awards ceremony.

“Oh, an investigator’s badge. It has been a long time since I’ve seen it. And this is… the owner of this certificate is an honorary baron, Theodore Miller. There is a royal seal stamped, so I am pretty sure… Huh?” Randolph looked at the certificate carefully and touched his chin with a puzzled expression.

The names of nobles were different from the common people. Even if the first names overlapped a little, there wasn’t a single family which used the same surname as that of another. For nobles, their surname was a proof of honour received from the king and evidence of the blood flowing through their veins. What idiot would want to share that with others?

However, this name was the same as the lord of the Miller Barony.

“…I heard that the lord here has a son.”

“My father.”

“Darn, you’re the son of my employer.”

Theodore laughed, and Randolph smiled as he realized why Theo had such a strange expression on his face before. The lord’s son had returned but needed to prove his identity. It was funny when they thought about it.

Randolph’s pleasant expression returned, and he stretched out his hand. “Welcome home, Young Master. There has been a small fuss, but so far, it hasn’t been a big deal.”

“It was a pretty big group.”

“Well… let’s go in and talk about it.”

The undead didn’t strike when the sun was shining, so Randolph turned around first. It seemed like the story he needed to tell was quite long. Theo and Sylvia followed behind him. In a sense, it was definitely a surprising return home.

***

By the time the two people and Randolph entered the village, the mercenaries were already scattered all over the village. It was because of the fatigue which came from staying up all night. The residents gave bowls of warm porridge to the mercenaries and wrapped bandages around the injured.

One of them recognized Theo sooner than anyone else. “Eh…? You, aren’t you Theodore?”

“What? Why would Young Master be here when he is studying?”

“No, just look!”

“Well, he certainly looks a like the Young Master…”

It had been five years, and Theo was dressed fashionably, so the people hesitated to call his name. He looked like a nobleman at first glance, so they didn’t believe their Young Master had returned.