Chapter 108

Towards The Storm #2

No, the ent leader wasn’t the only one to fall to his knees. The other ents bent their branches and roots which looked like limbs and fell to the ground.

Theodore was confused by the unexpected behaviour as other ents started to fall in a similar fashion. Thump, thump, the sound occurred every time the giant tree hit the forest floor. It was so loud that the crowded area quickly became quiet.

The dryads, who had been threatening Theo with their mana, lost their fierce attitude and bowed politely in the same manner as how servants welcomed a king.

Theodore, standing in the center of all this, looked around with an embarrassed expression and noticed something.

‘These guys… they aren’t bowing to me?’

The direction was slightly different. Theo followed their gaze and discovered Mitra looking around with a bewildered expression. He didn’t know why, but it seemed like the bud on her head was especially pointed today. Theodore realized the moment he saw it.

Simultaneously, the similarly enlightened Alucard cried out with delight, “Indeed, it is due to the bud of the world tree…!”

It wasn’t a well-known fact to humans, but the bud of a world tree could no longer grow in this era. The density of mana was several times thinner than it had been during the Age of Mythology, and the purity of the Arv’s blood was now much lighter. Additionally, there were numerous elements which interfered with the growth of a world tree.

Even if all the remaining high elves on the continent joined forces, they no longer had the ability to grow another Yggdrasil. So, they had never considered the existence of another world tree.

The forgotten Mother Earth, Mitra, was a type of vessel. This meant Mitra could grow a bud of the world tree, the ruler of all the trees on earth. So, it was natural that, as tree-derived species, the dryads and ents couldn’t resist her presence. For them, Mitra was an existence they had to serve.

[Hoing? Hoeng?] …Ironically, the involved party didn’t understand at all.

Theo quickly weighed the situation and talked to Mitra in his head. Originally, the dryads and ents were inflexible species who required force to be moved, but the story was different now. It would be best if the situation could be solved without violence, and Theo had the means to make that possible.

‘Mitra.’

[Ye?] The chubby Mitra turned around.

‘Can you tell the ones lying down to go to the forest over there? If you say it, they will probably listen.’

[I noe!] She turned toward the trees lying down and shouted in an adorable manner, [Yew, up!]

Simultaneously, the ents raised their bodies. As the massive trees rose, the ground shook, and the scenery changed into a forest. The ents responded in low voices as they waited for Mitra’s next instructions.

[As… you… command… ]

[…We… follow… king…]

[What… next…?]

Then Mitra pointed to the forest on the other side and shouted briefly, [Fere, go!]

It was truly a sight which seemed like a lie. The ents and dryads, who had repeatedly refused the high elves’ request, started to move without any hesitation. They passed the pile of stones they had been throwing and moved in the direction of the dense forest. In their wake, the dryads and ents left stupefied expressions on the faces of Theo’s party.