Chapter 54

The Voices Calling Him #3

The Red Tower Master, who called herself Veronica, met Theo’s gaze naturally. Her gold eyes, shining with curiosity and interest, were burdensome in a way that was different from the Blue Tower Master’s.

As Theo tried to step back unconsciously, Veronica’s white hand gripped his shoulder. Unlike the soft texture, there was a monstrous strength coming from it.

“Eh? You are different from what I heard.” She looked Theodore up and down before asking Vince behind her, “Vince, didn’t you say your disciple was a 4th Circle?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“This guy, isn’t he clearly a 5th Circle… No, wait a minute.”

Veronica spotted his circle with one glance, but then her expression suddenly changed. She gazed into Theo’s heart with sharp eyes and instantly saw the problem he had been struggling with for a few days.

“It is unstable. Did it wake up through this incident? This is what happens if you cross the ‘wall’ with an unprepared body.”

Indeed, he couldn’t fool the eyes of Veronica who was a 8th Circle magician. Theo admired her inwardly while nodding.

Speaking of which, Blundell had also instantly seen that Vince had achieved the 6th Circle. So, it wouldn’t be hard for Veronica, a magician of equal rank, to figure out that his 5th Circle was unstable.

“Kid, is your magic power wriggling by itself, and the circle keeps opening and closing?”

“Yes.”

“It is a typical symptom of disharmony. It occurs when the body can’t accept something your head understands, or when the body awakens without an enlightenment. It isn’t a problem that can be solved with time.”

Theodore flinched at her words. He had accumulated a great deal of knowledge from the library books, but he had never seen a single book describing disharmony when crossing a ‘wall.’ Basically, it was something which was experienced only after the 5th Circle, so information about it wasn’t placed in the academy.

Veronica smiled like she knew that and said to Shugel, “Then can I take this kid, Old Man Shugel?”

“I’m sorry, but I can’t do that. Even if you did submit the call, His Majesty is the top priority.”

“Hah, Old Man, who do you think I am? I’m just trying to bring him to the reception room instead. Is there anything strange about bringing them to the reception room?”

It seemed like Shugel found her difficult to deal with as he couldn’t come up with a response easily. It involved a large incident which could lead to a disaster. However, he thought it was more dangerous to stimulate Veronica, so he eventually stepped back. “Hoo, then please do so.”

“Okay! It has been decided,” Veronica said as she placed an arm around Theo’s shoulder.

Theo stiffened at the sudden contact. It was truly tempting to feel something touch his back while in such a tight hold. This was fatal to a 19-year-old young man. He could feel Sylvia’s stinging gaze on him, but Veronica spoke quickly, “Hey kid. Can you tell me about the tournament on the way to the reception room? I wasn’t in the capital at the time.”

“…I understand.”

There was no time to spare for his reunion with his master as Theo was now firmly caught by the Red Tower Master.

***

Her identity was unknown, and her age was unknown. She was one of the few dragon slayers currently in existence. Veronica was the peak of the war magicians, and the strongest and most dangerous person from the magic towers.