Chapter 9

Dealings With A Black Market Trader #1

The next day, Theodore went looking for Professor Vince.

‘The path is set, so the sooner I act, the better. I’m glad that Professor Vince is staying this year.’

It really was lucky.

Theo was known as the academy’s long-time dunce, so his relationship with the other professors wasn’t very good. Some professors blatantly told him to drop out while others ignored instances of bullying.

A person like Professor Vince, who didn’t care about his statue or origin, was hard to find.

Knock, knock.

When Theo arrived at Professor Vince’s laboratory, he knocked on the door .

–Come in.

His voice was cold as always.

“Excuse me,” Theo greeted as he entered the room.

He closed the door silently and faced Professor Vince, who was looking at him with confused eyes. It was Vince who put down his fountain pen and opened his mouth first, “You are an unexpected guest. I didn’t know you would come to find me… Come over here and sit down.”

“Yes, I understand.”

Theo sat down, and Professor Vince asked, “So, what brings you here?”

Theo replied like he had been waiting for the question, “I’m here to apply for a permit to go outside.”

“Huh? Go outside?” Vince’s eyes widened at the unexpected words.

Theo quickly placed the documents he had prepared last night on the desk. If the conversation got too long, then questions about why he wanted to go out might be asked. The confused Vince stretched out his hand. It was so abrupt that he didn’t understand anything.

‘I expected him to be shocked about receiving the third repeater letter. Yet he says that he will go outside.’

Usually, Theo was a student who would only be interested in the books at the library. Vince hid his confused expression and signed the papers Theo had brought. However, Vince was a little bit concerned about the validity period. During the vacation, students were more free to leave the school than usual.

“Theodore, even if you don’t apply for a separate permit, you are permitted to go out until 3 o’clock in the afternoon. This should be sufficient for wandering around the city.”

“That isn’t enough for me,” Theodore replied without hesitation.

The city of Bergen, where the academy was located, was quite spacious. As Professor Vince said, that time limit would be just enough for wandering around the city. However, Theo’s purpose was to obtain some magic items, and it would take time to travel there and return.

Vince cocked his head and asked a few more questions.

“What is your purpose in going outside?”

“It is a simple diversion.”

“Are you planning to stay out overnight?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Hrmm.”

The fountain pen starting moving and didn’t stop until it had filled out all the paperwork.

Professor Vince hesitated before the final stamp, but he finished everything and handed the permit over to Theo. With this, Theodore would be able to leave the academy until the end of dinner time.