ARC 7 - Chapter 7.4

The sound of coughing came one after another. Wei Lin's eyes were gentle as he stroked his sickly looking wife's hair. He won a scholarship at the age of 18, and he didn't have the help of his family behind him as other officials do. He came from a poor background and relied on a woman who worked silently to support him on his education. Therefore, she is the one Wei Lin is most concerned about now.

Emperor Hongming preferred to use lone subjects,so Wei Lin almost smoothly climbed up to the position of court elder. However he also knows that now a days,among the forces in the court,he is the one who is in danger.

Especially in such a turbulent situation, He replaced Yang Hui as the first minister. Still, Wei Lin knew in his heart that the reason why Yang Hui was so determined to support the third prince must be because that the emperor had indicated something. The third prince must also have leverage in his hands.

Now that the grand prince intended to use him, he doesn't know what will happen to him when the third prince returns to the court.

This was not enough for Wei Lin to send his wife away. What really made him make this decision was the grand prince himself. Wei Lin has long heard that the grand prince was cruel,so he had a lot of suspicion in his heart. In the past few days, he heard that the current commander of the imperial guard,Fang Rui,was being held under control by the grand prince.

This is why Wei Lin could not help but worry about his wife, not to mention that his wife is also suffering from lung disease, worsening day by day. Wei Lin could not bear for her to suffer excessively further.

“It’s windy outside. Get into the carriage.” Wei Lin closed the cloak on his wife’s body, “After leaving the capital, life may not be as fine as usual, so I have to bother you to endure again.”

“Tell me the truth, why are you sending me away? What about your situation? Didn’t the Grand Prince just made you an official?” Although the woman was sick and weak, she was very spirited and pulled Wei Lin to ask questions.

“What can I do? Now that I am sitting as the First Minister, sending you away is just because I see that you are sick and in a bad mood. I want to send you out for a break.” Wei Lin pretended to look like he was crying and laughing, covering up the heaviness in his heart.

“Really?” The woman asked hesitantly but inhaled a mouthful of cool air and could not stop coughing.

Wei Lin looked heartbroken and hurriedly pushed her into the carriage: “Really, really, go, wait until I take a break, and then I will go see you.”

The carriage finally rolled forward. Wei Lin had his hands behind his back, standing on the official road looking at the departing carriage, and eventually could not contain a deep sigh.

Yang Hui is gone, and Wei Lin had to fill his vacancy. He also had to slowly draw away from the network of forces laid by Yang Hui, which made him really tired recently. However, he did not dare to have a moment of relaxation. He had dealt with the Third Prince, so of course, he knew that none of these princes had a simple mind.

For the Third Prince, Wei Lin, with his old eyes, could still figure out seven points of this person’s thoughts, but for the First Prince, he could not even guess three points.

The First Prince is very sharp, old-fashioned, and has his own style. Since his governance, he has not been suppressed by the officials and also swept away the balance in the court. He has quickly broken up several forces in the court. Everything from top to bottom has been regulated, and the wind of corruption has been significantly suppressed.