(Nandini's story - part 1)

It was the most hated day of Nandini's life today. Yes, today is Valentine's day.

Valentine's day is normally a very happy day for those who are in a relationship but Nandini absolutely despised it. She always looked up to Valentine's day with pure anger and hatred.

"Any plans for today then?" Dr Shahid, her colleague, asked Nandini who was reading a patient's notes.

"No nothing. Just another day for single people like me, Dr Shahid" Nandini said. She wanted to avoid this topic as much as possible.

"The nurse Roja said you are going out with your boyfriend, Dr Harshan," Dr Shahid chuckled.

"Oh shut up Dr and get on with your work" Nandini scolded Dr Shahid.

Suddenly the nurse Roja came rushing into the clinical room. "The consultant Dr Mythri asked if either Dr Shahid or Dr Nandini could attend to an emergency case quickly.

"You've got to go on rounds now. Don't you?" Nandini asked Dr Shahid.

"Yes. Do you mind attending it?" Dr Shahid asked.

"It's fine. I will attend to that patient" Nandini assured Dr Shahid and rushed to the accident and emergency section. Nandini stood there in shock when she saw who the patient was. Not just Nandini, Rahul's eyes also widened seeing Nandini. He was beyond shocked.

The nurse Roja gently shook Nandini to get her attention. Quickly Nandini came out of her trance.

'I need to remain calm and act professional' Nandini chanted like a mantra to herself.

"Have his vitals been taken?" Nandini asked Roja.

"No Dr" Roja said, feeling guilty.

"Then take it immediately!" Nandini shouted at Roja.

Whilst Roja was taking Rahul's vitals. Another nurse explained why Rahul was here.

"Dr Nandini, he keeps getting recurrent chest infections, persistent breathlessness, ache or pain when breathing and he is coughing up blood. He has been referred to this hospital from KRP hospital. This is his test report" the nurse said as she handed over his test results.

Nandini was beyond shocked. Rahul has been tested positive for lung cancer. His condition was quite serious meaning, he did not have long to live.
Nandini's eyes started brimming with tears but before anyone could notice she wiped it away. It was like a wave had passed through her heart.

"Doctor, his stats are quite low," Roja said.

"I will prescribe oxygen," Nandini said. She then did some other checkups and prescribed some other medication along with oxygen.

Rahul looked at Nandini helplessly ...
Of course he was guilty for leaving Nandini in that state that day but he had no choice.
However, Nandini showed no signs of knowing Rahul, she acted all professionally.

After her consultation with Rahul, Nandini went straight to the cabin and cried. She poured her heart out to release all those suppressed feelings. Even though Nandini hated Rahul with passion, never did she think there would come a time where she will have to witness Rahul in a state like this and be his doctor.

Without notice, Dr Shahid entered the cabin. Nandini didn't even get time to wipe away her tears. "Are you okay Nandini?" Dr Shahid asked Nandini, very concerned.

"Yes I'm fine,doctor," she said and left the cabin immediately. Dr Shahid sensed that something wasn't right however he kept it to himself.

Later that day when Nandini was filling out some paperwork, Rahul's sister Priya knocked on her cabin to get details regarding Rahul's treatment not knowing it is Nandini who is treating her brother.