The book she was currently reading was about philosophies and their origins. She remembered her mother talking about philosophies and how they helped to shape an understanding of the world. 

Her mother was a smart woman and she hoped to one day have a fraction of her knowledge.

She took a moment to place the book down and went to the open window. 

The young woman quickly stuck her arm out the window and waved it about before swiftly pulling it back in.  

A knock at the door startled her out of her thoughts, she placed the book on the table and walked over to the door. She grabbed the handle and opened the door with a smile only for it to fade. 

A man with a long scruffy beard stood before her, and large dark bags hung from his eyes.

"I heard that strange things have been happening here," he peered into the cabin behind her, "Unexplainable things."

She moved in his line of sight blocking the view of her home, "If anything strange was happening here, I think I would know."

"I've heard about the things you can do," he stared at her in her eyes. 

She took a deep breath and gripped the side of the door, "Are you with the church?" 

He chuckled and shook his head, "No, I'm not with the church," a strange smile fell onto his face, "I'm only an interested neighbor." 

The young woman relaxed, only slightly, at the news that he was not with the church, "What do you want?"

"My name is Jack and I have a sick wife at home along with two children, a boy and a girl. I barely make enough money to support my family," he began, "I know that you can summon gold coins to appear." 

She crossed her arms, "Why would you assume that?" 

"You and that man don't work and I doubt you both would be good thieves," he looked her up and down, "From your crossed arms I can tell you're defensive. You have something to be nervous about paired with the question about the church I can assume they don't favor you Also, I have heard tales of a witch living in the middle of the field."

"And to think I only thought you were a strange dirty man," she uncrossed her arms, "So you want gold, something to buy food and medicine with?" she thought out loud.    

Jack leaned forward with wide eyes, "Could you make that happen, ma'am?" 

"I don't know."

Jack furrowed his brows, "What will it take for you to believe me? Do I need to bring my half-dead wife over here to prove it to you?!"  

Her eyes briefly widened at the man's outburst before she gained her composure, "What do you have to offer me?" 

He held up a sack, "It's full of grass," Jack handed her the bag, "That's all you need right?" 

The young woman stuck her hand into the sack and felt around, soft blades of grass came into contact with her fingers. The blades of grass slowly turned into round solid gold coins. 

She pulled her hand out of the sack and gave it to him.

Jack gave it a quick shake and smiled at the sound, "Thank you, ma'am, I won't forget your kindness." 

She bit her lip, "Just don't speak of this to anyone and that is payment enough," she watched as the man walked away from her cabin. She placed a hand on her heart to calm the rapid beating.