Chapter 65: Head Games

Start from the beginning

"Yeah... I don't want to talk about that," I voice, turning the key in the ignition. Peter awkwardly nods and I start driving. The rest of the ride is, fortunately, less awkward. We have a conversation about school and I tell him that Bucky and I have the same therapist. We finally arrive and get out of the car. We step onto the carnival grounds and look around enthusiastically. "Let's go get tickets," I insist, grabbing his hand and dragging him to the ticket booth. We buy our tickets and walk further through the carnival.

"What should we do first?" Peter questions. I scan my surroundings until I spot a tall attraction in the distance. I shake Peter's arm and point at the attraction.

"The big slide!" I yell out like a happy child. Peter chuckles at my excitement.

"Alright, come on," he agrees. We jog over and get into the short line. We hand some tickets to the worker when we get to the front of the line and climb to the top of the slide. We set our mats down and sit down next to each other.

Just as Peter finishes positioning himself, I claim, "bet you can't catch up." I push myself down and zoom off.

"Hey!" Peter shouts, pushing himself down quickly. I gleefully cackle as I go down the slide, looking up to see Peter a short distance behind. I reach the bottom and Peter follows five seconds after.

"I win," I tease with a proud smile as I get off the mat. Peter scoffs, standing up as well.

"Only because you cheated," he states, making me laugh.

"Hey, man, you can't expect everyone to play by the rules in the real world. Let that be a lesson for you," I voice, pointing to the slide. Peter chuckles and shakes his head.

"Whatever, let's go play some games so I could beat you," he suggests as we walk off.

We spend our time going on different rides and playing games. We stop at one booth where you try to pop the balloons with darts. Peter gives the man a ticket and is handed five darts. In order to win one of the big prizes, you need to pop five balloons of the same color. Peter throws dart after dart at green balloons, popping all of them with ease. I cheer for him and jump into his arms. Once he puts me down, the worker gestures to the stuffed animals above him. "Take your pick," he announces.

Peter gives me the cutest smile and asks, "Which one?" I return the smile, flattered that he's letting me choose. I examine all the stuffed animals but a certain one catches my eye.

"That one," I state, pointing at Woody the Woodpecker. The worker fetches it and hands it to me. We thank him and stroll away from the booth. "This is so cute!" I exclaim, holding the stuffed woodpecker out. "Thanks," I softly say to Peter, who shoots me a dazed look in return.

"You're welcome..." he mumbles.

*An hour and a half later*

After having a blast with other games and rides, we decide to get some snacks. Peter gets a pretzel while I get an ice cream cone and we stroll around the carnival hand-in-hand. "This was really fun. You're not as boring as you look," I tease him.

He chuckles and replies, "Yeah, guess I'm full of surprises... I'm just shocked you were able to keep up. You know, because of old age and all."

I scoff while he casually shrugs. "Ha. Ha. Very funny. Don't forget that this old lady could kick your ass though," I fire back. We both laugh and he bumps my shoulder with his. Our laughter subsides and we continue to walk toward the parking lot as we eat. I spot a kid wearing a blue t-shirt with Cap's shield on it walking in our direction, making my smile slowly diminish. I had forgotten about that situation. My eyes stay glued to the kid's shirt until he passes by and Peter notices.

"You okay?" he asks, making me turn to him with a surprised expression.

"Yeah... yeah, I'm fine," I answer, forcing a smile. "Uh, anyway, how was patrol today?" I change the subject, not wanting to ruin our perfect night. I can tell that Peter knows I'm avoiding that conversation, but he goes along with it anyway. He starts to tell me about what happened during his patrol as we approach my car and sit on the hood.

"...That guy was so mad. I wish you could've seen it," he concludes. I hum in response and give him a small grin. I haven't been patrolling with him because I wasn't allowed to go out as Amethyst while on trial. Now my therapist is advising against it because she's not sure I'm stable enough for Avenger or vigilante work.

"Yeah... Who knows? Maybe I can join you again in the near future," I note, slightly shrugging. Peter gives me a soft hopeful smile and nods. I tear my eyes away from him to check my watch. "Oh, my gosh, it's kind of late. We should get home or May and Pepper will think we eloped or something," I speak, hopping off the hood. Peter chuckles and follows my lead, getting in the car.

Third Person POV:

After a short ride, they get to Peter's building and y/n walks with him into the lobby. "Well, this is as far as I'll go. I have to get home," she informs him.

"Okay," Peter responds. The pair remains standing there, just staring at each other. "Um- goodnight," the boy nervously voices before walking toward the elevator. Way to go, Peter. That was so smooth, he thinks, beating himself up for his awkwardness. Y/n can't help but feel kind of disappointed.

"Goodnight..." she replies, still standing there. She gets a flashback of their first date ever, the one from the day before they blipped. We said "goodnight" and I only kissed him on the cheek, then we ended up turning to dust, she thinks. "Peter!" she calls out, making the boy turn around after having pressed the elevator button.

"Yeah?"

Y/n nervously squeezes her fists as she gazes at him. I'm done playing these head games, it's time to speed things up, she thinks as she marches up to him. "I forgot something," she voices as she nears him.

"What?" Peter curiously asks.

Y/n grabs his shirt collar and pulls him to her, smashing her lips onto his. Peter's eyes widen, surprised by her actions, but rapidly closes his eyes and kisses her back. Y/n pulls away, her face mere centimeters away from his. "That," she whispers, answering his question. She gazes into Peter's eyes, who's staring back at her in a mixture of bliss and shock. The elevator opened and closed behind him during all this and neither of them noticed. His head is still spinning as he tries to process what just happened. An adoring grin forms on Peter's face, causing a swarm of butterflies to erupt in the girl's stomach.

A rush of confidence suddenly overtakes the boy and he goes in for another kiss now that the shock has passed. He leans in and connects their lips, making them both feel like they're the only two people in the world. Y/n brings one hand up to his cheek while the other tangles itself in the boy's brown locks. Peter wraps his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him. They continue to kiss, lost in each other's touch until y/n pulls away. They press their foreheads together, gasping for air. They're both blushing wildly and smiling like idiots. Peter has been waiting for this moment since he first realized he had feelings for her.

"I gotta go," y/n whispers, staring into his eyes.

Even though Peter doesn't want her to leave, he nods. "Okay," he whispers back.

"Okay," y/n slightly giggles. "See you tomorrow," she adds, pecking his lips once more before pulling away from Peter's embrace. He lets go of her and she backs away slowly, still gazing at him with a bashful smile before turning around and leaving. Peter watches her until she's out of sight before pumping his fist into the air. He ecstatically laughs, pressing the elevator button and going up to his apartment to tell Aunt May everything.

Y/n can't stop smiling the whole way home. She's really glad she went for it because she knew she'd regret it if she didn't. She eventually arrives home and walks into the house with a huge smile on her face.

Finally, she thinks.