Chapter 68: That's My Captain America

Happy Latin Heritage Month to all my Latines!! Here's a song to celebrate our roots ^😛🇸🇻🇬🇹🇲🇽🇨🇴🇵🇷🇩🇴🇵🇦🇭🇳 etc. ❤️‍🔥LATINO GANG❤️‍🔥

(Y/f/d) = Your favorite dish

-

-

I sit up and Peter grasps my phone. He freezes for a second when he looks at the screen, a small frown forming on his face. He hands it to me and I thank him. His reaction makes sense to me when I check the caller ID: it's Jonathan. It is so funny how out of everyone, he's the one to interrupt Peter and I's makeout session. I glance at Peter before answering the call and raise my phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey! Are you watching the news?" Jonathan asks, sounding like he's in a hurry.

"Uh, no. I'm not, why?" I ask, puzzled.

"Turn on the news right now, you're going to want to see this. It's your pal, Sam Wilson," he informs me. I furrow my eyebrows. Oh, my gosh, did something happen to Sam?

"Okay, okay," I respond, snatching the remote and switching to a news channel. I lightly gasp when I see Sam in a red, white, and blue suit flying to the ground with a girl in his arms. "I'm watching, I'll call you later," I speak into the phone before hanging up. Sam walks forward and numerous reporters surround him, throwing so many questions at him. Peter repositions himself on the couch, focusing on the tv.

"Is that the Falcon?" he asks in surprise. I examine the stars and stripes on his chest and notice the shield on his back. A small smile forms on my face.

"I don't think that's what we're going to be calling him anymore," I utter. Oh, my gosh, finally. Sam ignores the reporters and goes straight to the politicians. One of them thanks him and they begin to have a conversation, Sam calling them out on their bullshit. I listen intently, feeling so happy that someone is telling these people what many of us have been thinking for so long. I shake my head upon hearing the government officials' argument.

"You know what? You're right. And that's a good thing. We finally have a common struggle now..." Sam tells the Senator, making him stop and turn to him. I listen closely to his words as he continues to go off on the Senator. "You just don't understand," the Senator retorts.

"Did he just say that?" I ask in disbelief, turning to Peter. He shrugs and shakes his head and we turn back to the tv. I know Sam's thinking the same thing by the way he scoffs.

"I'm a black man carrying the stars and stripes. What don't I understand?? Every time I pick this thing up, I know there are millions of people out there who are gonna hate me for it. Even now, here... I feel it. The stares, the judgment. And there's nothing I can do to change it. Yet, I'm still here. No super serum, no blonde hair, or blue eyes. The only power I have is that I believe we can do better... We can't demand that people step up and we don't meet them halfway."