Chapter 17: Homecoming?

Milo Manheim as Ezra

-

-

Y/n's POV:

It's time for PE class and I enter the girl's locker room to change into my uniform, then go into the gym. I sit down on the first row of the bleachers and MJ shows up not long after. "Sup, grandma," she greets as she walks up and sits next to me. I roll my eyes and rejoinder, "I'm not even that old."

"Pfft. Whatever, you're technically over 40."

I laugh and playfully shove her. She laughs too but quickly recomposes herself. "Hey, so you never texted back last night. What happened?" she queries. Oh right, I forgot to reply to her. When I got home, I went straight to bed and stayed up all night just replaying Jonathan's words in my head.

"I'm sorry, I was about to type my response but then Jonathan showed up, so I completely forgot," I apologize.

"It's fine but what happened? You told me to remind you to tell me about yesterday and then about the whole ex-boyfriend thing?" I could tell she's eager to know.

"Oh yeah! So yesterday after third period, Ezra asked me to homecoming..."

MJ's eyes widen. "The soccer player??" I nod my head. "Well, what did you say?" she inquires.

"I said no," I answer. She gives me a sympathetic look, already knowing the reason. "Anyway, so Jonathan texted me two nights ago, asking to meet up..." I proceed to tell her about last night's events, going over everything Jonathan and I said to each other. She listens intently, reacting to everything without interrupting. "He drove me home and said that he'll always love me, and I said it back," I conclude. MJ only stares at me, speechless.

"Wow," she finally reacts. We remain quiet for a minute until she speaks again, "Do you think you'll be able to keep your promise?"

I look down at my lap and play with my fingers. I'm not sure if I have a real answer to that question. "I don't know... To be honest, I wish he didn't make me promise that because I really don't want to fall for someone new. I don't know if I can." I pause for a moment before resuming, "I guess that's something that only time will tell." MJ kindly grins at me and rubs my back in a comforting manner.

"Well, whatever happens, I'm sure you'll be happy. That's all Jonathan wants for you," she reassures me.

Third Person POV:

As Peter and Ned approach y/n and MJ, Peter overhears the last sentence. "Wants what for her," he curiously questions. The girls glance up at the boys and that's when he notices their dull facial expressions. "What's wrong?" he asks, concern lacing his voice.

"She saw Jonathan last night," MJ blurts out. A strange unpleasant feeling suddenly builds up in Peter's chest at the mention of his name. So that's what she was busy with, he thinks to himself.