Chapter 60: Could I Get a Copy?

I pull into the school parking lot, quickly finding a parking spot

I pull into the school parking lot, quickly finding a parking spot. I turn off the car and sigh. It's probably weird to go back to school for a day, only to miss the next day. My arraignment is tomorrow so I have to go to New Jersey. Hopefully, everything goes well and I'm not sent to The Raft or something. I grab my backpack from the passenger seat and climb out of my car, locking it before walking toward the building.  I walk through the doors and enter the hallway, pulling out my phone to text Peter. I send the message, asking if he's here yet, before locking my phone and nearing my locker. I input the combination and open the locker, seeing my textbooks and notebooks. I start grabbing the items I require for my first few classes when a voice captures my attention.

"Y/n?"

I turn around and see MJ with a shocked look on her face. "Hey," I simply reply. I am so glad to see her. I didn't realize how much I missed her until now.

"Hey. You've been gone for like two weeks, where'd you go? Are you okay?" MJ cautiously speaks. Everyone seems to be afraid to trigger me. If she knew what I did, she'd be as wary as Pepper and Peter.

"Um, after my adoptive dad... you know... I couldn't handle it. I needed a break from everything," I answer. It's not a lie but I can't tell her the full truth, even though I wish I could. Now more than ever, I really want to talk to her about my magic and all the trouble I'm in.

MJ nods in understanding, shooting me a sympathetic expression. "I get it. I hope you found some peace in your time away," she softly voices. I grin warmly, appreciating her kind words. "You know Parker went MIA too, a few days after you? I just know he went to look for you and then just dropped off the face of the Earth."

I look down, averting my gaze. Yes, I do know, he was suffering in my fake sitcom. "I heard something about that, yeah."

"When he didn't come back, I thought he might've found you and you two eloped," MJ jokes, making me slightly chuckle. Something like that... she's sort of on the right track.

"Well, we're both back now. He went to see me when I got home," I say, adding the last sentence so she doesn't question how I know he's back. MJ smiles sweetly and nods before unexpectedly pulling me into a hug, startling me.

"I missed you so much. Oh, I can't believe you left me alone with these idiots," she claims. I pat her back and chuckle.

"What about Ned?"

"Like I said."

I laugh at this. I know she doesn't mean that. Ned is one of her few friends and I know she likes having him around. "Aw, I missed you too, girl. I'm so happy to see you again," I tell her, squeezing her before we finally let go of each other.

"We have like 30 minutes before first-period starts, wanna walk around? I'll catch you up on what's been happening here while you were gone," MJ insists.