Chapter 96: Back to the Future

Y/n arrives in a neighborhood, drifting down from the sky until her feet touch the concrete ground. She takes a deep breath as she runs her eyes over the houses around her before landing on one particular house. Her house. She begins to walk toward it, slowing her pace as she gets closer to the front door. Her nerves are out of control. She bends down and lifts a potted plant by the door, unveiling a spare key under it. She takes it and puts the plant back in place before straightening up and inserting the key into the door knob's lock.

She successfully unlocks the door and opens it, nervously stepping into the house. Her heart swells up as she examines the familiar interior of the home, causing the tiniest of grins to stretch across her lips. Her eyes are pulled to the family photos hanging on the walls in the living room. A wave of nostalgia and comfort washes over her as she analyzes the photos.

"What did you just say to me??"

The girl spins around upon hearing a voice she knows all too well. "Dude, just shut up already," an annoyed teenage boy responds. All of a sudden, Lucas comes into view as he descends down the stairs with Erica in tow. Y/n's lips slightly part as she gazes at them with sparkling eyes, astonished by the sight.

"Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me," Erica sasses, crossing her arms and glaring at her brother. Lucas rolls his eyes and frustratedly turns around to glare back at the younger girl.

"You know what–"

"Lucas... Erica..." y/n pipes up, catching the pair's attention. They both snap their heads to her, seeing her watching them with a small grin. They're so young again.

"Y/n! Thank God! Can you tell this little brat to shut up for once in her life and leave me alone," Lucas speaks as he approaches his older sister, glaring at Erica when he says the last three words.

"Y/n, can you tell this nerd that he's an imbecile?" Erica quips. Lucas angrily responds to that and the two start bickering. Y/n slightly chuckles at this and shakes her head. She never would've thought that she'd miss their petty arguments.

"Okay, okay! Guys, stop!" the older girl yells over them, pushing the two apart when they try to get in each other's faces.

"What is going on in here???" a woman's voice chimes in. Y/n freezes upon hearing this, her face falling in shock. She slowly turns around, her heart dropping when she sees her mom standing there with a strict facial expression and one hand on her hip.

"Mom..." she mumbles, feeling her eyes sting as they begin to water.

While she just gapes at her mother in shock, her siblings start talking over each other as they try to explain themselves to the woman. "Enough!" the woman shouts, quickly silencing the two kids. "Both of you, get in the kitchen. Right now!" she orders, pointing behind her.

At that moment, Mr. Sinclair walks out of the kitchen and stands next to his wife. "Kids, listen to your mother," he warns, pointing a stern finger at Lucas and Erica.

"Dad," y/n whispers, blinking to prevent tears from leaking.

The two kids reluctantly obey and quietly shuffle into the kitchen. The parents watch them until they step into the kitchen before turning to each other. "Unbelievable," Mrs. Sinclair remarks, shaking her head. Her husband hums in response, shaking his head as well. Then, they turn to the teenage girl standing a few feet in front of them. "What are you doing here, baby? I thought you left," the woman addresses her.

Y/n snaps out of her trance. "Oh, um... I need my purse. I was gonna go get it," she quickly lies. Her parents nod.

"Went with a different hairstyle today?" her father questions, eyeing her hair.