chapter 4

"I'm the suspect and you're the crime."

I was gonna be stuck at home the whole weekend but it was not like I was going to do anything.

I already know that once I get to school everyone's gonna call me a slut.

I was wrapped in my covers and already cried myself to sleep various times.

It really sucks when the one guy you've like since you were kids calls you slut.  And it all happened because of a stupid mistake.

My sulking thoughts were interrupted by Robert.

"Hey sis. Can I come in"? He said.

I nodded "Yes."

He sat down on the edge of my bed "Look Jackson doesn't deserve you."

I laughed sarcastically "Yes Robert. I'm the greatest person in the world. No one deserves me."

Robert pulled the covers over him too and he lay down next to me "You know what I mean. Your really pretty and have a really good personality"- He paused and looked me up and down - "Well have a good personality when you want to."

I shook my head "Gee thanks."

He hugged me "And who cares about what all those pricks at the high school think. Your just too pretty for them so they're gonna try to bring you down. Just act unbothered."

- at school

As soon as I walked into the school, everyone started staring at me. I groaned to myself. Great! This is gonna be a long day.

I walked up too my locker and written on it with lipstick was "slut". I didn't have enough energy to care about that at this point.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Jackson. I acted like I was looking for something in my locker.

He stopped at my locker "I really liked you Jackie."

I looked at him "I really liked you too."

He sighed "Maybe we can try to fix things up between us."

I should have been happy. I should've been cheering but as I looked at him, I realized that he had a really annoying personality. I mean sure he was hot but other than that, we have nothing else in common.

I shook my head "No, I don't think so.-" I closed my locker and pointed to the graffiti on it "You started all of that. You told everyone I was a slut. So no, I don't want to fix "whatever you think we had" with you." I shoved pass him and walked to my first class.

I just did that! I just put Jackson in his place. And it felt good.

By lunch time, the graffiti was off my locker and no one was talking about me. Well they were talking about what I told Jackson.

Hailey was proud of me and she said that I should find someone who would accept for what I like.

I walked home, listening to Madonna. I hummed along and was skipping around.

I wasn't even mad I had to walk home. New Jersey is really pretty when you get to enjoy it in a good mood.

I stopped at a gas station to get a slushee and a pretzel.  I stopped at a park to eat my food when someone walked by and asked if the seat next to me was occupied. I didn't bother to look up and nodded "Go ahead."  

I continued to listen to my music when the person tapped on my shoulder again. I took my headphones off and looked up "Yes"?

I couldn't really recognize the person because they had these huge sunglasses and hair everywhere.

"What are you listening too"? He asked.

"Madonna." I took a bite out of my pretzel.

"Ah so you really don't listen to heavy metal music." He replied.

I rose an eyebrow "Who are you and why do you know that"?

The man took the sunglasses of his face and I immediately recognized him. "I'm Jon."

I looked at him confused "Why are you talking to me"?

Jon chuckled "I was just driving and I recognized you."

"So you came up to me at a random park"? I said, tilting my head.

He laughed "You make it sound creepy."

I didn't match his energy "Maybe cause it is."

He kept smiling "Look I just wanted to apologize for running into you on Friday."

I cringed when I remembered what had happened "Oh your good. I'm sorry I was rude, I was mad."

"At me"? He said.

"No, no. It was just some dumb guy. But it's all good now and I'm sorry what I said about your music." I replied.

"It's okay. We all have those days." He grinned. He looked down at my food.

"Want some"? I said offering him some of the pretzel.

He pulled a piece off "Thanks. Do you need a ride home"?

I shook my head "Nah, I like walking."

Jon nodded "I see. Want me to walk you home"?

I shook my head again "Nope."

"Why not"? He said, a little too disappointed.

I stood up "Because I'm in enough trouble with my parents for sneaking out and having a guy walk me home isn't the best. Plus I don't want to be rude but I barely know you and for all I know you could be a serial killer."

Jon laughed "I swear I'm not a serial killer. And I can just walk you the corner so your parents don't see me."

I looked at his face and knew he wasn't going to give in. "Uh, okay. I guess so." I said.

Jon and I started walking and we made conversation.

"So why'd you sneak out"?

"A failed date." I replied.

"Oh. Was that the night-"

"Yup."

"How did the date fail"?

"Oh um. It's a long story."

"I'm up for it."

"Okay. Well I was looking for the bathroom at the show and Tico thought I was groupie and Um the guy I went with walked in when Tico was talking about sex. With me."

Jon burst out laughing "You and Tico had sex"?!

I rolled my eyes "No! We did not. He and I got confused."

"Are you a virgin"? Jon asked calmly.

I gasped "Why are you asking"?

"Well either, your saving yourself for someone or you just didn't want to have sex." Jon replied.

I shook my head "No, I'm not a virgin. And I respect myself."

"Who'd you lose it to"?

"My first boyfriend. He was such a douche. As soon as we did it, he broke up with me. That's why I'm not just trying to have sex with anyone." I replied, looking down.

"Ah. Well your ex boyfriend is a douche. But that doesn't mean you should lock up those broken feelings he left. You know"? Replied Jon.

I nodded "Well thanks for walking me home. See you around." I said and turned the corner.

Jon chased me "Wait! That's it"?

I cocked an eyebrow "What's it"?

"Look I think your really nice and it would be good to have you as a friend." He said, smiling.

I grinned "Maybe. Or you could just stalk other girls at the park. See you later. Serial killer."

I heard Jon laughing as I walked to my house.

When I got inside, I couldn't help but blush to myself.