Chapter 113

Isabella's birthday went by quietly, but the explosion happened a few days after on a Sunday, when her aunt burst in through the back door of the shop, swearing wildly at her brother.

"I forgot!" Sarah screeched. "And you couldn't call and remind me? I missed her birthday. Again!"

And that was followed by a string of vibrant curses. 

Isabella bid their customer a good day and handed him the bouquet. The man sheepishly smiled and then left quietly.

And that is how Sarah stayed for the day at their house. She went out for a few hours, and returned with Catherine for dinner and a wine bottle. 

"Still sixteen only?" Sarah sighed patting Isabella on her shoulder. "Grow up soon, kiddo. Then we can go drinking,"

Isabella smiled slightly and nodded. 

"I'll look forward to it," 

"I know so many bars," Sarah was saying, but Mr Jefferson interrupted her.

"Why do you know so many bars?" he demanded. 

"Oh, please," Sarah scoffed. "I had to find ways to throw away my stress,"

"So you chose becoming an alcoholic?" Mr Jefferson snapped.

"I did not, you arsehole," Sarah barked. "I always drank in moderation. . .only my moderation is a bit more compared to you. I am not an alcoholic!"

Mr Jefferson muttered darkly under his breath, as he put the dishes in the sink. 

Catherine was asking Isabella about her school, and Isabella was dodging around the question. 

"So, you've won any prizes at your new school?" Sarah asked, turning her attention away from her brother and to her niece. 

"You could say so," Isabella said. "My house has won the Sports Cup for five years in a row now,"

"And you play?" Sarah said. 

Isabella nodded. 

"Well done," Sarah high-fived her. 

She got up from her seat, and went around the house, as Isabella was forced to offer the only proof she could without raising suspicions. 

She showed her prefect badge. 

"It looks like real gold," Catherine said examining the badge and handing it over to Sarah, who knew nothing about that and was just proud that Isabella got something. 

"People say I'm supposed to have gotten married and had kids by now," Sarah said brightly. "But screw that! I have a little niece and freedom. How wonderful,"

Catherine chuckled lightly. 

Dinner was a pleasant affair, with a lot of chatter around the table. It was strange adding another chair to a table that was supposed to hold only three, and then had been reduced to two. 

It was some time after dinner that Isabella's father brought out her sketchbooks and showed them off proudly to his sister. 

"Is it moving?!" Sarah cried and Isabella almost dropped the plate she was holding. 

"It is a technique I learnt recently," Isabella said in a calm tone. "Together with the special paper, it creates an illusion to look like it is moving,"

"Oh," Catherine said and moved over to look at the sketches with Sarah. 

"Sorry 'bout that," Mr Jefferson whispered to Isabella. "And good save,"