Reflection

By the time Hunter and Zach got back inside, the sun was starting to set. When they returned, everyone was in the living room. Alissa was the first to notice their presence. Her face lit up when she saw Hunter.

"Hunter, hey." Alissa smiled at him. "Get over here."

Hunter gave her a shy smile and sat next to her. "I have something to say."

"Hold on there now, Hunter. Me first." Shaun cleared his throat. "I'm sorry."

"And?" Zoey asked.

"I'm sorry for pushing. It wasn't cool. You're under a lot of stress, and I should've considered that."

"And?" Zoey asked.

"WOMAN!" Shaun sighed. "I was wrong. There, I'm done."

Hunter chuckled. "That almost sounded like an apology. Are you sure you're alright?"

Shaun was about to say something when Zoey elbowed him on the side.

"Great, everyone's cool again. Now, on to my announcements." Zoey stood up in front of everyone. "As you know, Shaun and I are getting married in a few months." She paused to collect herself. She was practically radiating with happiness. "Alissa and Maggie, I want you both to be my bridesmaids. I know I haven't known you both for a long time, but I feel like it's been forever. We've all been through a lot, and I can't think of better people I would want beside me. Is that okay?"

"Hell yeah, that's okay! That's great. I have one condition," Maggie says.

"Is it wine?" Alissa smirked.

"No! That's non-negotiable. I want to plan the bridal party. It'll be fun. What do you say?" Maggie batted her eyes at Zoey.

"That's fine, Maggie. I'd be honored."

"YES! You won't regret it! This is going to be awesome!" Maggie said. Alissa could see the gears turning in Maggie's brain.

"Yay! Girls party. I get a free pass to come, right?" Zach asked.

"No, Zachery!" Maggie and Zoey said in unison.

"Alright, geez," Zach said, sinking into the couch.

"But I would like you to cater the wedding," Zoey said.

Zach's eyes widened, and he sat up. "You want me to do what?"

"I want you to cook for our wedding. Even Shaun agrees."

"Your food is alright," Shaun notices Zoey giving him a death stare. " It's good, okay."

"I won't let you down, sis. I promise. This is going to be great!" Zach started rocking back and forth with excitement.

Hunter smiled. It was refreshing to see everyone in a good mood. He needed this. Having Zach around helped, but this is what he missed. Being around people he loved. He didn't want this moment to end. He noticed Alissa looking at him.

"Did I miss something?" Hunter asked.

"You were staring daggers into the table. I was about to ask you to be my best man but never mind," Shaun takes a sip of his drink. "I think that poor table should get the job."

"Shaun I..." Hunter started to say. He was dumbfounded. Him? Someone's best man? Was Shaun sure this was okay?

"Nope. None of that. I've met some crazy people in my career. Lucian, the craziest woman I've ever met, I'm marrying. I'm gonna be honest. You were not my first pick. You want to know what did it? You saved Zoey's life. I owe you more than just a part in my wedding. Heh, Lucian, I can't believe I'm getting married. So, get your shite together." Shaun patted Hunter on the back.