38 | Guilty

As soon as I finish playing I'm startled when I see my family all sitting around us, they all come up to me complimenting me on my skills

As soon as I finish playing I'm startled when I see my family all sitting around us, they all come up to me complimenting me on my skills. It's all overwhelming and I think Nonno realizes this and grabs my hand and squeezes it before addressing everyone, "let's all head downstairs and prepare dinner shall we?"

Everyone reluctantly nods and leaves, I sit there in my stupor trying to gather my thoughts. I look around to try and find Gianni and Enzo but they must have left with their parents.

"Are you okay?" Stefano asks.

"Mmm, I'm fine. Look I'm sorry about earlier, I didn't mean any disrespect but I don't allow people to come in and talk like that, especially towards my father who only has my best interest," I sigh.

"It's fine, if I'm being honest I'm glad you talked to me like that, it takes guts child. I'm not mad, I'm proud," he says smiling softly at me.

"Well, I'm glad we've cleared things up. I'm excited to get to know you, but from the reactions of everyone you don't seem the type to socialize or even smile I might add," a smirk gracing my lips.

He bellows out a laugh, "that's true, I've never been one to show any emotion. I've always been a stern man, it's the way I was raised. It didn't help when my Lucia passed. You remind me of her you know," he informs me, the smile never leaving his face.

"I wish I could have met her, if she's anything like me I'm sure we would have got along like a house on fire," I chirp.

It's true, I wish I could meet my Nonna. I don't know how she passed and I don't want to bring it up. It still seems like a sore spot for him, I'm sure he'll tell me when he's comfortable.

Stefano stands from the piano and quietly leaves the library, someone clears their throat behind me. Turning around Dom and Gio are standing there awkwardly, I frown at them.

"We —" Dom coughs, "we were just wondering why you were — um  — crying?" He stutters out, with Gio nodding in confirmation.

"Oh?" I say.

"If you don't want to talk about it, we understand sorellina," Gio whispers.

I know they care about me, them standing here asking me why I was crying is proof enough. It warms my heart, I've grown closer to Dom these past few days. He's a tough nut to crack but he's opening up to me, Gio on the other hand he's still shy and quiet but he'll warm up to me soon.

"Carlos taught me the piece I was playing, it brought back memories. When I was playing I felt guilty about the happiness I was feeling when I know he's out there being tortured," I murmur, a small tear escaping.

The boys come up to me and wrap me in an embrace, I return the hug with them breathing in their scents which they chuckle at.

"You're strange, you know that?" Dom grumbles before pulling away from the hug.