05 | Believe me

I despise Mondays

I despise Mondays. School is a shit hole, I hate people. My father thought it would be a good idea to ship me off to America, he's trying to keep me safe while my uncle is on the loose. I have so much respect for my father, he is a force to be reckoned with, he holds so much power in Russia and I aspire to be like him when I eventually take over.

For now, though, I'm leaning against my car in the school parking lot, waiting for Dom and Rome to turn up. I'm shaken out of my thoughts when I hear my phone ringing. I answer it without looking at the caller ID.

"Alec," my father's thick Russian accent came through the phone.

I release a small breath I didn't know I was holding, "Yes father?"

"I need you to talk to the Rossi boys, get them to send a message to Lorenzo, he needs to stay away from Viktor. Diavola said she will handle him for us."

I nod, even though he can't see me, "but that means they'll know who I am, they will kill me if they know I'm related to Viktor."

He sighs on the other end, "I know son, but Diavola asked for you to do this. I see it as a trust thing. Please do this, you know we need the Italians to trust us."

"Okay, consider it done, they're pulling up now. Wish me luck. Talk soon otets."

(father)

Dom and Rome make their way towards me, they greet me with a bro hug and a pat on the back. My nerves are unsettling. How do I talk to them about who I am? Who am I to send them a message? Why does Diavola want me to send the message when she could have? I think to myself. I get to cut out of my thoughts when Gio, Andrè, and Emèlia pull into the lot as well.

"Dude, are you okay? You look nervous as shit right now." Dom nudges me. I shake my head to clear any doubts, "Yeah look, we need to talk." I look at everyone in the eye, they give nothing away. We're all taught to keep our emotions in check. Display no weakness.

When the other three make their way to us, I gesture towards behind the gym so we can talk privately away from prying eyes. I make my way over, everyone following me. I grab a smoke out of a bag and light it up. I inhale and exhale, the smoke soothing my nerves.

"What's this about Alec? You're scaring us." Emèlia mutters, I can see her nerves coming through.

We have all been good friends for years now. She is like the baby sister of the group. Us boys always look out for her. She's always one to show emotion, yes she's involved in the mafia but she wants nothing to do with it.

I ignore her and I look Dom in the eye, "Believe me when I say, this is nothing personal. I had no say in this. My real name is Alec Petrov, my father is Ivan and my uncle as you all know is Viktor. I have a message for you to give to Lorenzo. Diavola, wants him to leave Viktor alone. She's going to take care of him." Dom's eye twitches I can see the anger starting to radiate through his whole body.