01 | I Promise, Always

It's dark out

It's dark out. I'm laying on my bed staring at the ceiling thinking, how did my life come to this? I'm sure when my mother took me from the only home I knew that this isn't what she had imagined my life being like.

My mother was the most beautiful person in the world, her smile would always make me smile. She taught me everything I know since I turned six, from self-defense skills to know how to shoot. She also showed me the importance of it, how some people are dangerous and how I can use the skills for good, helping those who need them. Reminding me daily to never hurt those who are innocent, using violence as a last resort. She's always reprimanding me for my bad language as well the habit of rolling my eyes, she says that an 8-year-old shouldn't be cussing and that one day my eyes are going to be stuck like that.
I laugh to myself at the thought.

My mother always reminded me about my family back home, always speaking respectfully about my father and brothers. Reminding me that they love me and that they didn't know where we were, so not being around wasn't their fault. She explained why she took me, I never blamed her for taking me away from them though. I always held respect for her decision yet I had to grow up quickly, I didn't mind it though. Mother never regretted her decision to take me but then again how was she supposed to know that people would still be after the both of us? Not having any other choice she decided to train me, to prepare for anything and I'm glad she did after the events of tonight.

After laying on my bed for what feels like hours, I sit up and stare at my door. Reluctantly I get up with a groan, son of a bitch good me good, I feel a headache coming on, I thought to myself.

Making my way to my door and opening it I trudge down the hallway to our dining area where five bodies lay, blood pooling the floor, people might want to start calling me Leonardo fucking DaVinci with this beautiful artwork on the floor.

I made my way to the dining table sitting down with a huff. These men sure did put up a fight, too bad they had nothing on me, even if they are grown, men. I rolled my eyes at the thought of these men dying at the hands of an 8-year-old girl, scoffing at myself.

I heard the sound of the front door opening and slamming shut, my right hand resting on my thigh where my knife is resting safely. A figure turns around the corner, I sigh in relief when I see my mother come into view.

Once she gets a clear view of everything she pauses and her breathing hitching, she stares into my eyes silently asking me, what the fuck happened?

I keep my face void of emotion, I am too tired for this shit, I need a nanny nap.

"What the hell happened Val, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere? Why didn't you call me?" She blurts out rushing over to me checking for any fatal injuries, seeming satisfied once she sees that I have none just some bruising on my face.

"Russians." Is all I say and with that one word her eyes go wide once she realizes what I mean.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Mama, I heard everything they said. Lucky you told me to learn multiple languages in case of situations like this, huh?" I scoff. She rolls her eyes at my sarcasm, clearly not appreciating it.

"What did they say Bambina?"

"Something about kidnapping me, killing you, and sending father a message." I laugh loudly, "Ya dummy, russkiye podonki ponyali to, chto k nim shlo." I spit.

(I guess the Russian scum got what was coming to them)

My mother laughs, her laugh filling my ears with the most beautiful sound. Her laugh is cut short all of sudden, I frown looking up to see her eyes dull and wide in surprise, I scream making my way to her while she drops to the floor. Collapsing next to her, I note the blood coming from her mouth, grabbing my knife I throw it at the fucker who was responsible, him seemingly too busy smirking at my distress to see the knife coming. Hitting him right in the throat, he grabs his throat dropping to the ground. The only sounds I can focus on are my mother's labored breathing and his gurgling on his blood. I look at my mother with tears stinging my eyes.

"Val baby, I've taught you everything I can. It's time, It's time you look for them. You know I love you with all my heart, promise me!" She chokes out.

"No, you can't leave me! I love you, Mama, you can't leave me!" I scream.

"Promettimi che troverai tuo padre e i tuoi fratelli." She whispers, slowly losing consciousness. Her heartbeat slows, her grip on my hand loosens and her eyes start to flutter shut.

(Promise me that you will find your father and brothers)

"Lo prometto, sempre." I whisper, tears finally falling.

(I promise, always)

I watch as she takes her last breath, standing up I make my way over the last son of a bitch, grabbing his gun and finishing him off not even blinking or hesitating.

"uvidimsya v adu suka." I spit in his face, glancing at my mother one more time I decide to call the cops and make up some bullshit excuse.

(See you in hell bitch)

Now I sit and wait. Sorry mother, it's not time to find them yet but I will keep your promise.

 Sorry mother, it's not time to find them yet but I will keep your promise