32 | Heartache

I can't keep up with Valentina, it seems like she has this thing with Messiah, but then she flirts with both Alec and Andrè

I can't keep up with Valentina, it seems like she has this thing with Messiah, but then she flirts with both Alec and Andrè. Sometimes it feels like she flirts with me as well, I play along though it's kind of our banter that's all it is.

I wouldn't put it past her to hook up with all three of them, she's never been one to care about sleeping around. I wouldn't call her a slut, she's just in tune with her body and loves sex. She's never had a relationship though, she says feelings are a weakness she can't afford.

Val promised me a movie night in her room, making my way to her room I see Messiah and Felix standing there looking awkward and concerned, "What's wrong?" I hesitate.

Messiah looks to Felix who shuffles in his spot a little scratching the back of his neck, "she's been crying in her room, she opened their door ten minutes ago demanding tissues and popcorn then slammed the door in our faces. Messiah here like the lapdog he is running to go get them, and now as you can see we're standing here awkwardly wondering if we should knock."

Messiah grunts at Felix, flipping him off for the lapdog comment, Felix just laughs and shrugs at him.

Why the hell is she crying?

I grab the box of tissues and bowl of popcorn that Messiah is holding, how I didn't notice them before is beyond me.

I knock on Val's door before entering, I find her wrapped up in a cocoon sniffling. Slowly making my way over to her I sit beside her, she looks up at me her eyes all puffy and her nose red.

"Love, what's wrong?" I whisper handing her the box of tissues, she accepts them with a small thank you.

"Elena and Damon were supposed to be end game, Nate! I get it that Bonnie is his best friend but how is he supposed to live on without her. It's not fair Nate!" She exclaims, sobbing even harder.

Is this bitch serious right now?

"Valentina Rose Rossi, are you fucking watching the Vampire Diaries without me?" I frown at her, she gives me a sheepish smile and nervously chuckles, "guilty" she shrugs.

"Don't be mad okay, I couldn't wait for you. I had to know, but now I'm so fucking sad. Can we cuddle tonight please?" She whispers.

I really can't stay mad at her, although I'm thoroughly pissed she watched it without me. I unwrap her from her cocoon and slide under the covers bringing her to my chest and playing with her hair.

"Love, I know you enjoy playing games with these guys but you seriously shouldn't be messing with their feelings."

She tilts her head up to look at me, "what do you mean? I'm just a flirtatious person, you of all people know that. I even flirt with you but I know it's harmless because you're like my gay best friend."

My body goes rigid, my breathing gets heavy, "what did you just say?"

She looks at me confused before realization sinks in, "that you're my best friend?" She says feigning innocence.

"No love, before the word best friend."

"What? You didn't think I knew already? Nathaniel Ace Jacobs, you're my best friend. I notice everything about you, I notice the way you never paid much attention to girls, but your eyes would linger a little longer on guys —" she says nonchalantly before kissing me on the cheek, "it doesn't bother me you know, I support you and who you choose to love. Just because you're gay doesn't mean we're not going to be friends anymore. Your family, my brother from another mother," she chuckles.

How did I manage to find a best friend like her?

I pull her even closer to me kissing the top of her head, "I love you, you know that right Val?"

Her head nuzzles into my chest more and I hear her sniff me, "I love you too sweet cheeks," she murmurs.

D I A V O L A

I feel someone slap me in the face, I groan and shift in the bed before sluggishly sitting up, yawning I look around and find Val on her phone talking to someone, worry etched on her face.

She turns to see I'm awake and puts the phone on speaker so I can hear what the other person is saying.

Italics ↠ Nate | Bold ↠ Marcus

Can Nate hear me now?

Yeah Marcus the phone is on speaker, I can hear you. What's going on? Why does Val look worried?

It's not looking good Nate, we tracked down where we believed Carlos was and it was at an abandoned warehouse. He wasn't there, it was a trap the people I sent haven't returned.

What does this mean? I sigh looking at Val's tear-stricken face.

It means they found the tracker in him and cut it out, they knew we'd track it. It means that Viktor is in the wind again. We have nothing to go off now.

A ping sound comes through the phone on Marcus's end, he mumbles a 'what the fuck', as Val and I frown at the phone.

What's going on?

Val, I'm sending through a photo that an unknown number has sent. I'll get my best hackers on it to triangulate the IP address, this is not fucking good. I'll call you when I have more information.

Sighing, okay stay safe Marcus, keep us updated please, before I hang up the phone and pass it to Val who checks her messages and gasps looking horrified, tears streaming down her face uncontrollably now.

She hands me the phone before storming out of her room scaring Messiah and Felix who look at me confused. Messiah follows her while Felix comes into the room, "what's wrong with her?"

I look at the screen and see a photo of Carlos, bruised and bloodied, chained up to a chair. This is not fucking good at all, Valentina sees him as a father figure, and seeing him like that will be tearing her up inside.

"Viktor sent us a photo of Carlos, we need to sit down with her family before she's going to snap and hurt someone or herself," I inform Felix who looks at me with wide eyes, nodding and leaving the room.

If I know Val she'll be going to the gym to release some anger out, I'm glad Messiah decided to follow her. We have to get Carlos back as well as her baby brother. This is her worse nightmare, someone she loves getting hurt because of her.

She doesn't deserve this heartache.