Chapter Forty-seven

Chapter Forty-seven

-

Luke froze as he spotted a familiar face in amongst the jeans. He quickly scrambled to put the pair he had picked up back where they were from but a voice called his name.

"Luke?" Luke looked up, trying to hide the fear evident in his eyes. He knew he shouldn't be scared, that's what he wanted. But he couldn't help it. Aaron looked down at the pair of black jeans in Luke's hands and smirked. "Ashton feeds you well I see."

"I feed myself!" Luke shot back defensively. He didn't want Ashton involved. He knew Ashton did nothing but love him and give him space to grow. Ashton tried his best to stay out of Luke's disorder which was what he eventually discovered he wanted, even if he had once insisted he wanted Ashton's help. Their relationship wouldn't work otherwise— he understood that now.

Aaron laughed and took the jeans out of Luke's hands, peering at the label then folded them back up. "I see he's made you more confident too, I quite like it. Does he know you're buying these?" Luke nodded and looked around with a slight blush. "You shouldn't be ashamed Luke. It's good to see you so well. I'm glad I didn't hurt you too badly," Luke looked up confused. "I've always cared about you, Luke. I still do. You're always on my mind. What I did was wrong, but I just never wanted you to leave me. And I ended up pushing you away—"

Luke shook his head, beginning to feel guilty. "You shouldn't be talking to me. I could tell someone—"

"Relax Luke. This was an accident. It was bound to happen. But I'm glad it did. I got to see you're beautiful face again."

"Aaron please!" Luke begged, reaching over and taking the jeans out of his hands. Their fingers touching. Luke's heart was racing faster than ever. He was trying not to panic.

"I'd like to see you again. I'd like to apologise properly. You can bring Ashton—" Aaron began to suggest.

Luke shook his head but found himself saying, "I'll think about it."

"You know where to find me, Luke. Your desk is still there waiting for you—"

"You're living there again?" Luke asked. There was an incline of curiosity in his tone but also confusion.

"I crashed with a friend for a while. I thought Ashton might get in your mind and get you to tell the police. But it's been over a month and I knew you were loyal. I trained you so well Luke—". Luke shook his head and took a step back. He looked around to see if there was anyone about. The store was empty. Aaron laughed and stepped back too. "I'll see you soon Luke."

-

"Luke what's wrong you're not yourself today?" Ashton asked putting away his tie and turning around to look at Luke was led with book resting on his chest in deep thought. The pair had sat and eaten dinner together, two separate meals. Ashton had tried to talk to him but Luke was quiet. Ashton thought maybe Luke was feeling insecure, but even now he was still upset. "Is it about the jeans?"

Luke took a deep breath and turned to look at Ashton. "I saw Aaron today. We bumped into each other."

Ashton sighed and sat down on the edge of the bed. He knew it was bound to happen whether it was by chance or Aaron following him. Ashton couldn't see a world without Aaron unless Luke told the police. But he kept quiet because it made Luke happy. "Did he say anything?"

Luke shrugged, his voice shaky. "He apologised and said we should meet."

Ashton nodded knowingly. "How did you feel in his presence?"

"I don't know. I stood up for myself. I could handle the words. But there was this silent judgement like he could see what was underneath my clothes like I was just stood there naked!"

There was silence for a moment. "Do you know what he saw—" Ashton said, finally looking at Luke who was playing with the sheets. I sign Ashton had gotten to know well, a sign of nerves and shame. "He saw someone who is now strong and healthy and he was putting on act. He was trying to make you think things that only you are capable of. He doesn't care about if you've gained weight Luke, he cares about the power you have gained. You're almost more powerful than he is now."

"I suppose you're right," Luke said, sitting up and letting the book slip off the bed, losing the page but he wasn't really absorbing the content anyway. "Can you hold me?"

"Of course," Ashton said, climbing up the bed and pulling Luke into his arms. "Just tell me when you want me to let go."

"Never," Luke mumbled, pressing his lips against Ashton's arm.

Ashton chuckled softly. "I will have to go to the toilet soon!" Luke smiled, Ashton feeling the movement of his lips against his skin. He decided to change the tone back to something more serious. "I won't let him get to you Luke, and I don't think you are this time either."

Luke shook his head. "I'm happy here Ashton. But it is tempting— Sometimes I just want to sit down and have a normal conversation with him, I wanted to accept his invitation. But I know it's not possible. We can't have a conversation with it being a power play. He can keep trying to get into my life, but as long as I don't let him in it will be okay."

-

This is so bad! I think this may be one of the worst chapters I have written!

How is everyone? I've spent most of the week either driving people around (my nan can finally go back to bingo!) or getting my car fixed because my brakes were a bit dodgy and driving exhausts me! I really like it but driving and anxiety don't go well together! 

Hopefully, the next four remaining chapters will be better!

Thank you so much for reading!