Chapter Two

Chapter Two

-

Fumbling through his door and letting it slam behind him, Ashton leaned against the wooden plank and smiled to himself. He was drunk. He had more drinks than he could remember. But, he had also been intoxicated with the presence of the familiar blonde he hadn't seen in nearly a decade.

Ashton was now thirty, he knew that made Luke twenty-nine. They were both mature adults now. But, when stood face to face with Luke he felt a sudden freshness overcome him. He felt twenty again. His body surging with feelings of excitement and intrigue.

He couldn't mistake the mature face Luke had formed. He now had stubble, and small lines of age already beginning to appear. But his older appearance fascinated Ashton. It held secrets and histories he didn't know, the ten years he had spent without the blonde man.

Ashton shook his head and rubbed his eyes. He tried to restrain any suggestive thoughts and clumsily took his shoes off. He knew he couldn't get to know Luke, it was too dangerous for him. And he didn't ask for his number, there was no way to contact or find him. He was going to have to keep to reading his writing, loving and admiring him from afar.

Navigating his way through the dark hall and up the stairs he entered his bedroom. The bedside lamp was on, a dim glow filling the room. His eyes fell upon his fiance who was sat leaning against the headrest, a book in her lap.

"You're awake?" Ashton mumbled, leaving the door open as he awkwardly pulled off his tie.

"I thought I better be ready for when you come home," Stella chuckled, placing her book on the bedside table. "You're such a mess when you're drunk. Do you remember last time we went to a wedding?"

Ashton rolled his eyes and fell on the bed beside her. His top buttons sprawled open and his belt hanging loosely around his waist. "That wasn't the alcohol. You know that!" he complained, staring up at her, his eyes sparkling with admiration and gratitude.

Stella always made sure he got to bed safe, drunk or not. And for her, getting Ashton to bed safe meant making sure he took his medication. It always lay beside his bedside table, in a little container that marked every day of the week. Each contained two little pills that he was to take night and day if he wanted to maintain his standard in his profession.

Ashton held himself up and stared at his bedside table. There was a draft edition of the book from today's book launch and on top, a glass of water and three pills. He laughed once again. Leaning over and taking the smallest of three, he muttered. "You have so little faith in me. I told you I wasn't going to get drunk!"

Stella leaned back on her side of the bed and smiled. "We've been together for three years Ashton. You don't pass up the chance to have a drink. You're practically an alcoholic-"

Ashton spun around and stuck his tongue out at her, then began to unbutton his now creased white shirt. His coordination too impaired for him to succeed. Stella sighed and leaned forward and did the final two, and taking the shirt off his shoulders.

Laying back down beside her, she placed her head on his chest. Her tight curls spreading like a floral collar against his chest. Ashton kissed her forehead and let his breath roam free.

"How was it?" she asked quietly, watching their shadows that were cast upon the ceiling. They looked like one object, joined and united. Her right hand trailing over the ring on her left. A small and delicate band that she had now wore for three months, and never failed to admire.

Despite being together for three years, she had not expected a proposal so soon. She was willing to wait forever for Ashton to get down on one knee. There was no rush. But when it happened, it felt natural and she instantly agreed. They had no set date for a wedding, they thought they might wait a year or two. The ring simply signified their loyalty and love for one another, even if they were not there - always occupied with their jobs.