Chapter Forty-nine

Chapter Forty-nine

-

"Ashton's still at work," Luke said nervously as he stood holding the flat door open, awkwardly deciding what to do. He never liked opening the door. Should he let them in and wait on the sofa or force them to wait outside because they were not his guest?

Stella quickly helped him out, laughing at the silence. "I thought I'd come by a little early and see you, we are friends aren't we?"

Luke bit his lip and nodded with embarrassment. He stepped back to let her in. "Sorry, I'm not good with social situations! Never had a guest before!"

"You don't say!" Stella laughed peering around the small place. It was tiny in comparison to the house she and Ashton shared. It made her heart ache a little, at how much of his life he had given up for love. "So this is the time where you give me a tour and then offer me a drink," she informed him.

"Oh, okay. Thanks!" he said, peering around the place himself as if he'd never seen it before. He knew Stella was coming. Ashton had invited her around. They were going to be discussing their child. Luke had offered to go out but Ashton said he could stay, the baby was going to be part of his life too. Maybe he could help with the name. So he had tidied the place and cleaned everything to make it nice for her. "There's not much to show you."

"I'd like to see every piece of cutlery, Luke!" she warned him. "Make this a very detailed tour!"

He laughed again, his nerves beginning to fade and he planned out how the situation would go. He shuffled towards the bathroom and told her what it was, and then to the small room where his desk was. The flat was supposed to be two bedrooms but they only needed one, so the smaller one Ashton insisted could be where Luke worked. When Luke asked Ashton where he would work, Ashton said he could work anywhere and he did most of his at his actual workplace anyway.

"And then this is the bedroom," Luke said awkwardly, his hand loitering on the handle.

"The place where you fuck my ex-fiance!" Stella concluded. Luke looked at her apologetically. "I'm messing Luke! I don't mind!"

Luke nodded but didn't open the door. The room was tidy but he wondered if the sex they had this morning could still be smelt in the air. Instead, he led Stella to the small kitchen and told her she could explore every drawer and cupboard if she pleased. "This is where Ashton likes to pretend he is a chef!"

"He's a good cook when he wants to be! He used to cook about once a month for me and used to serve up a portion for about five people!" Stella remarked.

Luke nodded and laughed, looking down at his grey slippers. A heavy silence suddenly evaded the room. Sensing that Luke was beginning to overthink the words she placed a hand on her stomach and then another on Luke's. "If there was a baby inside of you, it would need all that food. Why don't you deserve it as well?"

Luke blushed and bit his lip. "Sometimes I feel as big as you," he admitted staring at both their bodies. His body was nothing in comparison to the seven-month baby she was carrying but he felt the same.

"Oh Luke!" she sighed. "Does Ashton know you still feel like this?"

Luke simply shrugged. "I've always been like this. There's no good helping me, it's a waste of time. I've just got to take my time."

"Ashton thinks your worth it. He's so scared of hurting you."

Luke tried to fight back tears. He couldn't understand the love that both of these people felt for him. Why they cared so much. "I don't understand why you're so nice to us. I could never have forgiven me—"

Stella just laughed. "It hurt a lot, Luke. And I don't like what you both did. But, and I've told you this a million times before, you've had too much hate in your life for me to hate you. And also there's the baby. I want the baby to have a father. Besides, I wouldn't have forgiven, Aaron but you have!"

Luke nodded. "I guess whatever makes life easier"

"Or harder. Sometimes we have to suffer to get to the pleasure."

Luke was going to respond but he heard the door close and stepped back from Stella, her hand falling back to her side. He met her eyes and gave her a warning glance.

"Luke!" Ashton called out. He walked by the kitchen then stepped back when he saw his boyfriend standing in there. His eyes widened when he saw Stella. Suddenly the tension that was contained in the kitchen burst into the living area. "What's going on?" he asked concerned.

"Nothing," Stella said, leaving Luke and going to give Ashton a hug. "Luke and I were just talking that's all!"

"Without me?"

"Without you," Stella confirmed. "We can be friends without you Ashton! Actually, I think I prefer Luke to you!"

Luke smiled and looked over at Ashton to see his reaction. Their eyes met and Ashton shot him a worried look and Luke shook his head to tell him not to worry. There were some things he couldn't tell Ashton, and he knew that was okay. But he now understands that was why he also needed a friend.

-

Not to alarm anyone, but I myself am alarmed that there are only two chapters left! I have an idea for a new story but it is crazy that this one has sort of been with me for a year during the hardest times in my life and I feel like a part of me will be missing after this.

I know this is obviously fanfiction but these books are also so much more. I don't really read fanfiction, it's just for me an easy mode to write a story in. I can focus on the plot and not trying to imagine the characters. It's just an easier step into writing. 

How is everyone? We celebrated my grandad's birthday yesterday (he would have been 75) and it was the first time I had been to a pub since they had reopened.

Thank you so much for reading.