I started with the various cells in the blood, starting with the red blood cells. I appreciated their biconcave shape and a couple of rouleaux formations then moved on to the neutrophils and saw their multilobed nuclei, the basophils' blue color, and the gorgeous eosinophils' red granules. I kept going through different slides for different tissues. I saw neurons, thyroid, kidney, different types of muscles, bone, cell types, it was everything in the body. This kept me entertained for hours.

I was quite intrigued by all the different things I was looking at. It was this semester that I was starting my human anatomy class. My test on Monday covered the structure, function, and location of the different cell types, so I stayed looking at those slides a little longer than the rest. I did a mental exercise, recalling where I could find simple squamous cells, stratified squamous, columnar, cuboidal, and all the rest. At some point, I must've been enjoying myself and saying a couple of things a bit louder than I intended because Dr. Garnett said that if I had any questions, she could come over and would happily teach me.

Um, ok, thanks, I guess. I still haven't forgotten where I am and who she is. I also declined her offer to be taught by her, so why is she still eager? Anyways, maybe I could learn a thing or two before my test. Yes, I still plan on escaping by tonight.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I went back to the box of slides. When I got to the adrenal medulla slide, I saw that it was smudged, so I looked for something to clean it up. I opened the drawer from where I had gotten the box, but there wasn't anything to clean, so I just opened the next one. The box of wipes was there, but it was closed, so I took it out to open it, and that's when something fell to occupy the space where the box had been. My eyes grew wide in surprise to see that it was a scalpel. I quickly grabbed it and concealed it on the inside of my right forearm with my middle, ring, and pinky finger.

Dr. Garnett must've seen me jump because she asked if everything was ok. I tried to cover my tracks by saying that I was just trying to get the box of wipes open and that everything was fine. The suspicion in her tone indicated that she didn't believe me. She got up from her chair and walked my way.

Shit.

I fumbled with the box and finally got it to open. I took out a wipe and turned her way, saying that things were under control, but she kept slowly walking towards me.

Oh god, it's now or never.

I uncapped the scalpel with my thumb, but luckily still had the wipe to hide the weapon.

"What is going on?" She eyed me suspiciously.

"Nothing, just need to clean a dirty slide." I turned towards her. I got off the chair, making sure that it was between the both of us.

"Then why are you backing away?"

"Because you scare me." It was the truth. I don't know what she is capable of.

"What's in your hand then?"

Fuck. She knows. I don't have an option.

I kicked the chair her way and lunged towards her, keeping my arm close to my body so that she didn't have much to grab at and stop it. She put out her left arm to block her body, but I went below it and managed to stab the scalpel into her thigh. I made sure to wedge it as deep as I could, but she was quick to push me off her. She staggered back a few steps. I could see the glistening red liquid run down her shapely legs.

She was livid.

She grabbed her thigh, and that's when, without thinking, I just grabbed the heavy microscope and swung in her direction. She put her right arm up just before impact. The microscope collided with her arm and with the force of the blow and my body weight she fell to the ground.