35. A not so official proposal

I was dead meat after all the happenings today. After elder Zhang's questioning, Xiao ge didn't come to me. He didn't ask me anything which was hurting me a lot. On the other hand, I was still thinking about Qishan brother asking me to marry Xiao ge. That was something I least expected for him to say. I can tell he don't trust me that much but still, he asked me this!?

Why?

I bet he is planning for something. But what could be it?

I was lost in these when my phone ringed. It was my uncle.

"Yes, I'm not dead."

"Ha... I know. After all, you are in Zhang ma.."

"Don't. Don't even say it. Only I know how I'm trapped here. He fixed my marriage for Friday. I have no way to escape from it this time."

"That's all your matter. Didn't you say that you don't want me to interfere with you and your lover's matter?"

"Oh. Now you are taking revenge on me. You are so mean uncle. You even made me stand in front of a gunpoint. And now this. I'm cutting all ties with you for good. Don't even call me again."

"Hahaha... Wait. This kid."

He was laughing when I was losing it all.

"I called you to tell you a news. Listen to it first."

"Good or bad. Tell me that first."

"Haha... Sorry kid, for this day you are not gonna have a good night sleep."

"Oh, God. What now?"

I jumped up to sit on the bed.

"There were two others with him but escaped. My men followed them, to find them shot dead."

"What? They too killed themselves?"

"No. Someone shot them."

"Who?"

"Don't have a clue."

"So all the efforts went in vain."

I sighed. The disappointment was mutual on both sides. I was worn out both mentally and physically.

"Uncle. What do we do now? There won't be any chance to get them. They must be alerted."

"Mm. We are back on square one."

"Uncle you should do something. I won't be able to escape from here anymore. I'm trapped."

"Don't think like that about Zhangs. Zhang Qishan is a good and wise man. He won't do anything without thinking before."

"Yeah, that's true."

Suddenly a thought came to my mind. A wise, smart man who is unaware of all the mess happening around his territory? That's not possible. He is surely hiding something.

"Yes. Uncle that's true. He is, smart. He even knew about your disguise. So there is a possibility that he knew who is behind all of these too. But why would he sit back and let them have their way? Why would he want the nine gates to be ruined?"

"Wuxie, he won't. He may be truly oblivious."

"Then what you tell me. I'm already exhausted my brain enough."

" *sigh* "

"But Hah. There is one thing that's contradictory to what I have thought earlier. The one matter which confused me caused drastic turbulence in my head."