33.2 The drama

Now the centre of attraction was me. I laughed confidently to break the other's composure. A slip of tongue, it indeed happened. But I wanted to make sure whether he is an outsider. I stayed quiet since I know it will make the other nervous and talk and give himself away.

"What... What do you mean? Stop this and back out from your agreement with Zhangs. That's what better for you, I'm telling you."

"I.... I'll think about it. But why don't you tell me from which family are you?"

He was young and timid, sure he Is just a pawn. But he was enough to find their intention, at least. So I had to make him speak. I asked him many times but only got silence in return. He hid his hand in the pants pocket to cover his trembling hands. By then someone from the crowd revealed his identity.

"Isn't he the one Li family adopted as their heir?"

Many others confirmed it. There were no elders from the Li family present here, he only had two minions with him.

"So... Mr Li whatever, you just called me a hobo, called the Zhangs cheaters. That's... Rude."

"So... Are you the son Wu Yiqiong? Didn't his child die with his mother? If it was a lie, then what's wrong with calling you all cheaters."

"Brother... My father ran away. I have nothing to do with the nine gates. I'm just an employee here. I even get a salary."

"Tsk... Stop fooling around. You guys got caught. You... Better go back to your town."

He pointed at me, his face was full of hostility and the excitement of victory.

"Yes, someone indeed got caught. But it's not us. It's you. Didn't I say, brother, you made a mistake."

"No.."

"The town you mentioned, Tianjin, where did you get it?"

I stepped forward making the distance between us less. His face was pale. He is just a kid. I felt bad for him. He may have been forced to do this. He still has his innocence hiding inside him, which blew his cover. Whoever assigned him to this, really messed up.

"What... What about it. It's the town you came from."

"No. It's not. Ask Rishan brother."

I turned to look at Rishan brother who was still on the podium. I flashed a smile to let him know to answer straightforward. He looked at me, confused.

"Rishan brother, where did you find me?"

"...Shanghai."

As Rishan brother answered, that kid realised his mistake. When I turned to him he had his head ducked. His face got paler, his lips were dry that he kept wetting them with his tongue.

"See. They found me from Shanghai. I was studying there."

"...mm. That....Ah! I... I may have remembered it wrong. Whatever the place is, it doesn't matter."

"No. You remembered it correctly. It's indeed my hometown. But it was a secret. No one here knows it."

"I don't know... I said what I should... It's ... It's for these people's good. Let me go."

He was about to run away, I grabbed his shoulders. When this all drama started, my uncle's and Zhang's men were alert. So he had no chance to escape anyway. I put my hand over his shoulders and dragged him to the front of the hall.

"What's the hurry? I'm not done."

Maybe he lost his patience, Rishan brother walked to me with his confused face.