Character Profile

WuxieDOB: March 5, 1997The only grandchild of Wu householdPost Graduate in Art history and curator

Wuxie
DOB: March 5, 1997
The only grandchild of Wu household
Post Graduate in Art history and curator

WuxieDOB: March 5, 1997The only grandchild of Wu householdPost Graduate in Art history and curator

Zhang Kylin
DOB: January 23, 1995
Zhang family heir
Bachelor degree

Zhang QishanYear of birth: 1978 (43)Head of Zhang family and the Nine Gates*

Zhang Qishan
Year of birth: 1978 (43)
Head of Zhang family and the Nine Gates*

Zhang QishanYear of birth: 1978 (43)Head of Zhang family and the Nine Gates*

Zhang Rishan
Year of birth: 1984 (37)
Brother and right hand of Zhang Qishan.

Zhang RishanYear of birth: 1984 (37)Brother and right hand of Zhang Qishan

Wang Yueban
Nickname: Wang Pangzi
An employee at Zhang Associates*

Wu Sanxing
Third uncle of wuxie.
His local guardian.

[ These characters are the most frequent ones from start. There will be other important characters in later chapters. They will be introduced at that time.]

*Nine gates
In this novel, nine gates refer to the nine main family and their business which relates to the collection preservation and exchange of antique and other cultural relics of Beijing.

*Zhang Associates
Zhang associates are the main company that controls the industry. Its head is currently Zhang Qishan.
But the Zhang associates didn't belong to him. The legal owner is the son of his late uncle, which is Zhang Kylin. (it will be explained later in the story)

Essential information for better reading:-

Wuxie is not bought up by the wu family in this story. His only connection to Wu's family is his uncle. More detail will be revealed in the story.
Zhang Qishan and Zhang rishan are brothers in this story and are cousins to Kylin.
Pang Zi is an employee at Zhang's. I couldn't think of any other possibility to bring him into the story. But no worries he will be full-length support to wuxie.
Nine gates are not active as earlier in the current setting of the story.

More about Nine gates and Nine families.

Nine gates is not a legal organization. It works with the base of cooperation and moral obligation to protect the cultural relics.
Nine gates were established by the generation of Wuxie's grand grandfather when the main nine families at that time worked together. To protect the nine gates and prevent the intervention from outside parties, Cross marriage was practiced. It prohibits the members to marry from any other families other than the nine.
But when time passed this tradition was ruined by and thus nine gates lost their trust in each other and parted ways.
But the hierarchy that prevailed stayed as the families had ruled the industry accordingly.

• Families and their Business

Zhang - Zhang Associates
Deals with antique collections in tie-up with the government.
Controls business in Beijing Antique market. Also have invested in all the lower family business.

Er- Er Art Schools
The Er family is the second most powerful but they don't actively participate in the other industry Business. They take the education sector and promote traditional arts and crafts. The family head is Er Yue Hong who is as respected as Zhang Qishan among the nine families.

Li - Li finances & enterprises
The Li enterprises are the backbone of Nine Gates as they deal with finance. They are a Non-Banking institution that will provide funds to both business and expeditions of Nine Gates.

Chen -
The Chen family does business mostly illegally. They don't have a company but owns a store at Beijing Antique Market. Chen family is the first family who withdrew from Nine Gates. But they are still monitored by the Zhang family.

Wu- Wu Antiques
Wu family deals with the Antique trade. They are the middlemen in the exchange of antique and they own most of the shops in the Beijing Antique market. Wu family is also in the middle of rank and position. They are respected by half of the people in the industry where they are enemies to the other half. Wu family still holds the nine gate principles to their heart as Zhang. But when Zhangs can't act recklessly due to their status, the Wu family never hesitate to interfere with the illegal businesses done by other families.

Hei - Hei Secure Solutions Pvt Ltd.
Hei family provides aids to the main businesses like the Li family. The provides the best security and technology for the preservation of antiques. Hei family also supplies men and materials required for the expeditions.

Huo- Huo Antiques

They are the rivals of Wu antiques. Huo family tries to bring down wu antiques due to their rivalry with the Wu family.

Qi - Qi constructions

They work in the construction industry. All the constructions of Beijing are supervised by the Qi family.

Xie - Xie Enterprises, Inc.
The Xie family is not in any main business but assists with almost all families. As the third generation's main focus is on Art & Antiques, the Xie family currently is in association with Er and Huo family.

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Author's note:-

I tried my best to explain the nine gates. It's different from the original novel but the family names and rankings are the same. I'm not a pro of the novel but hope it is enough to make sense. And also the story setting is in Beijing for the sake of my story only. It's not that important but the Bejing Antique Market is real. I just took the name.

If there is any doubt feel free to ask. I will try to answer to my best knowledge