Chapter 39- Half Lies

Magsimula sa umpisa

"u-ROO-she-ol?" Musa said slowly tasting each syllable, "Yeah," Lilith said not really looking forward to when Musa would look it up and never touch her again. If not look at her like she had the plague. Then she realized that she had told Musa that if someone touched her they'd get a rash, sure she didn't go into details but Musa was holding her wrist. Sure she was wearing her usual gloves but Lilith thought maybe it hadn't sunk in yet.

"It's not deadly is it?" Musa asked worry contorting her expression, "No-no, not for me not for anyone. Just inconvenient, for me." Lilith added the last bit almost too quietly for Musa to hear. "Well, that's not..." Musa paused letting go of Lilith's hand pulling them back so she could nibble on her thumbnail. Not enough to harm her nail but enough to get rid of her nervous energy. Lilith however thought it slightly felt as if Musa was also doing it to keep from saying something.

"That's?" Lilith urged, Musa, paused thinking before answering. "Don't let that detour you away from Lance, I'm sure it will all work out. Trust me," Musa spouted almost believing it so much that it gave even Lilith a bit of hope. "Thanks, Musa," Lilith said, and really meant it.

It was nice to know that there was someone she could talk to about normal stuff. Sure she hated lying to Musa and the others, but them knowing she had powers would just make things worse.

***

Lilith spent lunch with an oddly cheerful Lance, she had tried to give him his jacket that morning but he said a cheesy line about how it looked better on her. The school's air-conditioning was on full blast as always so rather than being cold she wore it all day. If it hadn't obviously been way too big for her no one would have guessed it didn't belong to her. Lilith however was far too used to being ignored or mean things said behind her back. The only thing different about today was what they were saying.

"Do you think she bought it herself or did some dimwitted idiot actually fall for her?" "I can't believe that freak got a boyfriend before me." "First she tries to steal Megs' boyfriend, now this." "Lance is far too good for her."

Lilith didn't mind what they were saying she just hoped Lance wouldn't get bullied because of it. They weren't officially dating but the school seemed to think otherwise. By the time it was time to head to Gardening club the entire school seemed to be glaring at her.

Lilith was just leaving her final class for the day when Lance met her at the door. "Hey Lilith," Lance said seeming nervous, people we watching and whispering, "Hey ready for club?" Lilith said starting down the hall he moved to walk with her. "No actually," Lance said and Lilith paused, "What?" She asked, "Mama Fay called she needs me home right away, and Tucker wasn't feeling too well so Edwin and Musa took him home. I just wanted to let you know," Lance said quickly as if he wanted to get it all out before he forgot it.

"Oh well, Conner and I can handle it for today... Is everything okay?" Lilith asked wondering why Lances Mama Fay wanted him home so soon, "No it's fine, just my dad...I don't want to talk about it," Lance said looking away as he ran his hand through his hair nervously. "Well you should hurry then, and here take your jacket I don't want to get mud on it," Lilith said quickly shrugging it off and handing it over to him. He seemed a little sad that she didn't want to wear it but took it before saying goodbye and running off.

Lilith walked slowly through the garden, Conner was watering the flower beds while she trimmed the bushes. She wasn't really up for hard work so she cheated a bit, making the weeds disappear with barely a thought. Thoughts she was trying to keep her thoughts away from Conner and Lance, but in the effort to not think of them. Her mind however seemed to want to repeat the music Mayhem left stuck in her head like a catchy song. Her face flushed as the memory of him hugging her and telling her that her voice was like an Angel. She wondered if it was just a lie to get her earpiece out.

"Lil-bear, hello?" Conner said cheerfully, Lilith so lost in her own mind hadn't noticed he had been trying to get her attention. "Oh sorry Conner," Lilith said, "It's really hot out today, thought you might want water," Conner said seeing her face all red. "Oh thanks," Lilith said taking the bottle he held out to her. She nearly dropped it as her phone buzzed. 'Cave now!' Batman said, "Got to go, Uncle needs me." Lilith said with a smile Conner nodded and as she ran off checked his phone hoping for a similar message just as he pulled out his phone Superman messaged him.

'Metropolis now!'

***

"Good you're already changed," Batman said, as Lilith came into the cave she had gone home and changed really fast. She grew her mask as she ran over to Batman where he was typing on the screens. "What's wrong?" Lilith asked, "Yesterday Ivy reunited with a few old friends," Batman said, a video of Ivy breaking Bane and Mr. Freeze out of jail.

"Yikes," Lilith said as Batman continued, "About an hour ago with the help of the young Anti-league, they started attacking Gotham. Half of Gotham is now under ice and the other half is overgrown. You will be coming with me," Batman said, showing Gotham in utter chaos.

Where it was icy people were frozen solid in the streets. A beam of cold streaming across half the city. Though the images from Ivy's half weren't much better. The people were wandering around like zombies tending to the garden and fighting some of the young justice leagues like Zatanna and Robin.

"This seems a bit big for just a few of us, what about the rest of the justice league?" Lilith asked nervously, "Superman and all the rest of the league are trying to contain the others. Seems all the villains in their little anti-league decided to attack major cities across the country. Most are using those plant goons. So we're spread a little thin. Gold and firestorm have their hands full with Mr. Freeze and Bane, who seem to have Sphinx and Ring Meister. They're held up in Gotham's observatory with a giant freezing beam. But that's not the biggest problem," Batman said handing her new earpieces as they headed for the boom tubes.

"Ivy?" Lilith guessed, "Yes seems she's using Prince and Mayhem to amplify her powers, she's also gained control of Swamp Thing and no one can get anywhere near her. Green lantern has been trying for hours." Batman said as the boom tube lit up they were in his cave seconds later. Even so far underground she could hear a soft melody.

"Music?" Lilith asked, "Mayhem, it's being transmitted through the city via the flowers." Batman explained reopening the cameras showing the not-so-secret hideout Ivy was hulled up in. "Turkish baths?" Lilith asked, "An old favorite of hers," Batman said, "So you need me to get to her?" Lilith asked, "Yes, and if it's not too much I need you to try and take away control of the swamp thing. Even if it means you have to control him," Batman said leading her to a batmobile that looked more like a flying gardening tool than a car. She recognized it as the one Firestorm had used on Ivy years ago the last time he had gained control of Swamp thing.

"Up to her old tricks I see," Lilith sighed under her breath climbing into the car. "I'm nearly as strong as my mother how am I su-" Lilith started, Batman held out a small vile of purple goo. "It's no longer super effective on her but will bring her down to your level if you can splash her with it," Batman said starting the car. "Right, let's go," Lilith said preparing mentally for the battle ahead.