34 💫

Jay's POV

"Argh"

I said out of frustration for the 5th time that day after failing to shoot the ball into the ring.

I'm never gonna get good at this sport. I thought to myself after the number of failed attempts.

"Hey bud"

My dad made his way out to the front yard with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Doing some morning exercise?" he asked

"You can call it that"

I dribbled the ball once again and tried to shoot it hoping it would go through the ring this time

but again, it didn't

I hear my father's laugh before he rolled up his sleeves as he made his way to me

He slouched down as if he was guarding me. About to play some ball

"Try to shoot once while I guard you, and I'm going to get you anything you want"

My eyes widened at that, now determined.

I tried my very best to focus as I dribbled the ball, moved past my dad even with him blocking me, and shoot

Not only did it not go through the ring but it also went to my neighbor's yard.

I panicked as I ran trying to stop it before it bothers them until it stopped on someone's foot.

I slouched down to reach for the ball and when I raised my head, our eyes met.

She had fair skin, black curly hair that reached her waist, and had these innocent eyes.

It looked so innocent and pure.

"Hey. Sorry about the ball, I can be a little clumsy" I laughed awkwardly

I expected her to talk or to smile at least but she did none of that

Her mom apologized and the thing that caught my attention in her apology was a name.

Avery

I peaked to see her one more time. She hid behind her mom and her action was nothing but adorable.

I smiled at her adorableness.

With the ball now in my hand, I walked back to my dad waiting for me right where he was

"I see you made a new friend?"

"Yeah" I smiled. My dad ruffled my hair as he smiled back at me.

There are not that many kids in our neighborhood so making a new friend was a big thing to me.

I'm the only child, and though I love spending time with my parents, I do get a little lonely. It's always nice to have someone who's almost the same age as you.

Of course, I had friends from school, but they were never down for video games, a little sport, or even a walk in the park and such.

This is why I do all those either with my dad or by myself. That's of course until I met her.