𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 | 𝟑𝟓

꧁꧂

January | 2023

Kendra sighed licking and biting her lip. Billie took her hand from under the table, squeezing slightly. They glanced at each other and smiled. The white door swings open, an African American woman with beautiful curly frizzy hair and a white doctor's coat walks inside her office, closing the door behind her. Billie and Kendra stand up. "I'm sorry for the wait, there was a situation going on with one of the patients. My colleague which is still a student couldn't handle it by herself yet." She says walking towards them. "I hope my assistant makes you feel at ease with a cup of tea and our hospitality?" Kendra smiled and nods.

"Yes, the tea is delicious. Is it fresh mint?" Billie asks. The doctor watched her and laugh.

"It is! For us, it's a protocol to treat our patients with healthy and freshly made products." She gives Billie and Kendra a hand. "My name is Aliyah Marshall, you can call me Aliyah and I'm the founder of this private fertility clinic. I will be your psychologist and I will take care of your treatments. So-." She smiled putting on her glasses. "To my understanding, you are here for advice for your baby wish!"

Kendra and Billie started to talk at the same time, they looked at each other and laugh. "You go." Billie offered. Kendra thanked and eyed Aliyah.

"We do, we have done a lot of research, and we concluded that we want to find our donor since it's for us important to know him." Aliyah nods. "We also read an article about an ovum donation or an ovum transfer, which sounds like an unrealistic dream." Kendra smiled looking at Billie. "How awesome would it be if our child has Billie's gene as well?"

Billie nods. "Kendra will be carrying our baby and we wanted to know if that is in any way possible."

Aliyah nods. "Yes, it is possible to take an ovum donation and transfer! Let me explain how." Billie and Kendra nod. "So, Kendra will be the one carrying the baby, and you Billie want to have the active role so you can be the natural mother as well. The method is called the ROPA-method. Shared motherhood, which means that you Billie will donor your ovum." Aliyah eyed Billie. "We will fertilize your ovum with the sperm of that perfect person you both choose and if it worked successfully we will bring it into Kendra, so she can get pregnant with your baby." Aliyah watched Kendra and Billie again.

Kendra smiled big. "Oh wow? So it is possible?" Billie says surprisingly, Aliyah nods. "But what do I have to do to fertilize my eggs, uh ovum."

"When your first period started you need to call us immediately. The treatment will be done at the hospital next to us. On the same day of your period, we will take an echo on you and will do check-ups in your uterus." Billie scrunched up her nose. Aliyah smiled. "Don't worry for us it's very normal to look at a woman who's on her period, we will make it as comfortable for you as possible. We assure you that." Billie nods rubbing her nose. "Then we give you and Kendra medications and Billie you need to start with the injections. First to grow your ovum and then to induce your ovulation. In the meantime in those three weeks, you have to come back to have an echo control."

"Damn looks like that I'm the pregnant one." Billie laughs glancing at Kendra. She smiled biting her lip.

"What will happen after Billie's echo control?" Kendra asks curiously.

"When Billie's ovum is big enough, between eighteen and twenty millimeters. We will do a puncture on Billie to remove her ovum, it's safe and it won't hurt because you get a little bit of anesthesia. In meantime, Kendra you get medications to stop your period and you need to begin with other medications so that your period is at the same time as Billie's." Kendra nods understanding. "Five days after Billie's treatment you will get calls from the laboratory how it's going with Billie's ovum and the sperm. If Billie's ovum is nicely fertilized with the sperm of that specific person, it's time to bring it into the other mother Kendra. We hope to have at least four successful fertilized ovum's so that we have a lot of attempts to inseminate Kendra successfully."