The Face-off

"Rajkumar Arjun..", my furious voice rang aloud, above the loud cheering of the crowds ... All the heads around, turned towards me. There were gasps and utter silence. Only Arjun stayed indifferent, not even turning around to look up at me... His arrogance radiated from his ignorance, and it irritated me further. I was in the first row. With a leap over the rails, I landed on the ground. The gasps of the crowds fell like the murmur of a rising storm all around the auditorium. "Does this ignorance symbolize your fear to face the challenge, O mighty Rajkumar?", I taunted him. Mahamahim Bhishm and Guru Dronacharya stood up, their eyes radiating their fury. The crowds were unbelievably shocked, infact, furious on me. Just as they were about to break into shouts and protests, He raised his left palm. The wristband shined proudly in the sun, as all the motions and murmurs came to a still- everyone loved and respected him way too much to not keep his silent plea. He slowly turned around to face me.

His face was calm, his lips curving up into an even calmer smirk. His hazel eyes beamed with immense confidence that had been gathered from years of sweat-shed. The scars on his both shoulders, from the bow-string, indicated that he was really the Savyasachi that he was called. His cool hazels fixed on my eyes-- his gaze never losing its composure. "May I kindly know your identity, brave man?", he asked me, his tone that of an ideal gentleman, his voice firm and clear enough for most of the people to hear him out- but still it hit me like a frosty breeze. I wasn't scared, neither nervous-- just the feeling one has when they see what a true gentleman is like. I immediately slapped myself mentally. I am here to challenge him, not to praise him. "Karn.. The son of Adhirath Mahashay and Radha Devi....", I replied, my voice as firm as his question, but just the opposite of how cool his voice sounded-- boiling with an unrevealed fury. To be honest, I wasn't the least bit angry on Arjun. I was angry on this society, on the aristocratic arrogance of the upper-class people, on Dronacharya's arrogant pride on his favourite disciple. My thoughts were interfered by a sudden roar of mocking laughter from all the audience and the royal guests alike. The Pandava brothers, Mahamahim Bhishm, Dronacharya and the other chief royals held back their laughters with large grins. My eyes suddenly spotted the only princess who wasn't gaping at Arjun or giggling. She was quite beautiful, her dark eyes beamed an unknown concern, most probably for me. I quickly shifted my eyes to Arjun. He was still holding that same composure. "Pranipaat Radheya", he greeted me as gentle as one could think of, slightly folding his eyes in front. My hands automatically folded in front as I greeted him back, "Pranipaat.." However, I could not help notice the glint in his eyes-- the glint that a lion has in his eyes right before pouncing upon his prey. I mentally challenged him-- Let's see who preys on whom. His gestures clearly indicated that he had accepted the challenge.

His Guru was quite quick to understand his gestures and he called Arjun to him. They had a short conversation, after which he touched his feet and came back.

He swiftly retaliated each arrow of mine. It was mostly a fire versus ice fight. Suddenly, he shot a Divyaastra. Each arrow of his emerged out of void, so did mine. But, I , till then, didn't have as many Divyaastras as him. But before I could retaliate the arrow, it nearly hit my chest. To everyone's astonishment, my innate kavach appeared and the arrow dissoluted into it. I smirked. His expression changed for a while, before he smirked, too. The duel recommenced, and not one more time did he waste another divyaastra. He was really a superb war planner. No doubt, his brain probably worked faster than his hands. The duel went on and on, and Arjun made no extra urges to win, or defeat me. Every single person watched on with bated breath.

As I shot a final arrow, he suddenly lowered his bow, astonishing every single person around, including me myself. The arrow almost hit his eye when his left hand caught it in air, and in a split second he stood there breaking the metal arrow into halves, grinning smartly and cleverly.

Rage coursed down my spine, but before I could reciprocate, he pointed towards the setting sun with his eyes, "The Sun is down for today, and as far as my knowledge goes the one who tames the final weapon wins... So, as of today, we are done...And, as of, in future, I presume, we are never having a duel again, because only a Prince, Yuvraaj, Raja or, the Prince's Guru can have a duel with a Prince... Therefore..." Before he could finish the sentence, the crowds broke out into hails of his name. Arjun smirked as he looked around. People were literally crazy about him or what. Dronacharya came forward, and addressing the whole public, including the royals, he said, "That is what makes someone the best in the true sense- the perfect combination of etiquettes , gentleness, composure, intelligence, skill and valour. That is my shishya-- proudly, my favourite disciple, Arjun. Hail the Mahanayak- the ultimate winner of today's contest amongst the best warriors of Aryavart, and he has proved himself to e the best...." The crowds again broke into loud hails of the 'Mahanayak'. The invited princesses showered flowers in his direction, while he never paid a heed to any of them.

Suddenly Prince Duryodhan came up to me, as I stood there, feeling defeated. "He will be having a duel with this talented youth again, Gurudev. Thus, kindly hold back your this decree for now.." I was really astonished. Standing beside be, he held up my hand and shouted to everyone around, "Now onwards, I declare this youth as the Raja of the Angpradesh that Pitashree has gifted me on my arrival from the Gurukul..." I could hear gasps and murmurs, but not a hail. These people were too much into Arjun. "But that doesn't change the decree of the people, my boy..." Mahamahim Bhishm said calmly, as he came down from his seat and held Arjun's free hand. Arjun smiled, but the smile was mysterious. As if, he wanted to say that inspite of having it all he was still missing out on something, but there was probably no one to hear him out.

The same day, my Rajyabhishek took place. My parents were never happy with the thing, especially my newly-wed wife, my childhood friend- Vrushali. But, I just needed it... to prove myself..