Chapter 87: Ultimate moves...?

I posted in a... "cold second." Lmao, sorry. Nothing interesting to say here, just read :)

I wasn't in a much better mood the next morning, for multiple reasons. They were all minor, but they had affected my sleep enough that I was on edge.

I avoided talking to anyone, save for a brief question of "who won?"

Throughout the morning, my mood had improved, and by the time we were in class I was already feeling better.

"I believe I mentioned this yesterday, but for now, Class 1-A of the hero course will be focusing on getting their provisional licenses."

"Yes sir!"

"A hero license bears with it the great responsibility of human life. Of course, the exam to receive on is very difficult. Even the provisional license has only a 50% passing rate each year."

"Just the provisional license is that hard?" Mineta sounded dismayed. Mr, Aizawa's eyes narrowed in response.

"That's why today, we will have each of you come up with at least two..."

At least two... what?

The door to the classroom opened as he finished, revealing the Pro Heroes Cementoss, Midnight, and Ectoplasm.

"...ultimate moves."

Ultimate moves...?

"Ultimate moves?! It's like a real school thing and yet—" Kaminari and Ashido started.

"—It's like a super normal hero thing!" Kirishima and Sero finished.

How in the world can creating "ultimate moves" be considered a normal school thing?!

"'Ultimate'! This means that this move will give you a sure win!" Ectoplasm explained.

"A move so ingrained into your body that others cannot copy it. Battle means seeing how much you can force what you're good at on your opponent."

As Cementoss spoke, I briefly thought back to our exams, when he completely crushed Kirishima and Sato.

"Your moves will represent you. These days, pro heroes without ultimate moves are an endangered species."

"Your moves will represent you"...

"We will tell you more as we go along. We want to proceed logically. Change into your costumes and meet in Gym Gamma."

With that, Mr. Aizawa sent us off.

~

We entered a huge gym with a high, arched ceiling and a cement floor. Windows spanned the walls on either side of us, behind the viewing balconies.

"Gym Gamma, also known as the 'Training Dining Land,' or TDL."

TDL might make a certain mouse mad at us...!

Cementoss knelt to the ground, activating his quirk. "I came up with the idea for these facilities. Terrain and other things can be prepared specifically for each student. That's what the 'dining' part refers to."

That's cool and all... but I still don't get it.

"I see..."

Even Kaminari gets it?!

"Please allow me to ask a question!" Iida's hand shot up. "Why must we have ultimate moves for our provisional licensing exam? Please tell me your reasoning!"

"I'll tell you everything in order." Mr. Aizawa pinned him with a tired stare. "Calm down."

With that, he began his explanation. "The job of a hero is to save people from danger, like crimes, accidents, natural disasters, and man-made disasters. The exam to become one naturally looks at how well you are able to do that. Your ability to gather information, make decisions, move, and fight, in addition to your ability to communicate, draw people to you, and lead. Every year, a different test is used to look at how well you are able to do those things."