Chapter 79: The answer is no

It was finally over.

I let out a breath of relief as I left the room, finally having some time to think about what they had told me.

I completely ignored the man next to me, who was escorting me out, as I sifted through the new information.

"Your father is now in custody. We searched your house, only to find it completely empty. No one came back to the house. If you see your mother, call the station immediately. Do not, under any circumstances, engage. Only call the station."

In custody...

I didn't know what to feel about that.

I was relieved, sure. I wouldn't have to worry about him any more.

But it felt so... so surreal.

So impossible.

Apparently, All For One had also been taken in, which was a huge relief.

Maybe they could wring the answers that I needed out of him.

As they had asked me questions, I had realized one major thing: Bakugo hadn't said a word about me.

Or what had happened...

Apparently, his exact words were, "If you wanna know something about her, then why don't you go ahead and ask the cocky b*tch yourself, you d*mn extras!? It isn't my f*cking problem!"

I couldn't help but feel a surge of gratefulness.

Even with how emotionally dense he could be regarding others, he knew what not to share... and respected my privacy.

Already a step ahead of Mr. Aizawa...

Though I'm sure they weren't quite as grateful as I was when they heard about my head injury, and immediately had me checked for any severe head trauma.

I was fine, but they didn't seem to understand that. Eventually they let it go with a warning to be careful and call if I was having any symptoms.

I probably wouldn't either way.

On the topic of Bakugo...

I hoped that he wouldn't try to bring it up with me. We could pretend that it never happened, and move on. That would be that.

But I wasn't sure that it would be so easy.

He sometimes acted like he had a right to know...

I sighed quietly to myself.

The clomping noise of footsteps quickly got louder behind us, and a call stopped me in my tracks.

"Miss (L/N)! Miss (L/N)!"

I turned around cautiously.

It's so odd to be called "Miss (L/N)"...

"Ye-es...? How can I help you?"

"Y-your father," the man puffed out, hands braced on his knees, "the man we have in custody— he's asking to speak to you?!"

His explanation came out sounding like a question, but I didn't think about that as I narrowed my eyes.

It was odd enough that he was asking for me... and even odder that they listened.

"And... how did he know I was here?"

"I- I don't know, Miss (L/N). I was just sent to tell you."

"Well the answer is no." I declared sharply. Then, feeling a stab of guilt for the guy who was simply doing his job, I amended. "Sorry for the trouble. Goodbye now— have a good day."