Birthday Special

I yawned and stretched as I slumped my way down the stairs, my back cracking with the motion. It was two in the afternoon—

I think...

—but it felt like it was two in the morning. Getting a day off school was nice, but that all went out the window when sleep didn't come during the night.

Having spent half of the morning trying to force myself to fall asleep, I was feeling pretty grouchy as I exited the stairwell and made a beeline for the kitchen. Caffeine would have to work in place of sleep for today— and hopefully tonight I'd be tired enough that I'd drop.

Here's to hoping.

It was only halfway across the floor that I realized: the curtains were closed and the lights were off. My eyes were so adjusted to the darkness that I hadn't even realized.

If I had taken the elevator, I would've noticed. Bad decisions are always made at the oddest moments...

I was too groggy to care, blinking blearily as I continued my way to the coffee maker.

The lights turned on, and I nearly jumped in shock as there was a resounding cry of, "Surprise! Happy..."

The call fell apart as I instinctively struck out at the person nearest to me, who had jumped out from behind one of the counters.

It took me a moment to reorient myself, as I took in the western-style party decorations of hanging banners and balloons whose shadows I had failed to notice.

Nevermind failing to notice the decorations in the dark— I definitely should've noticed their emotions. I really need to fix my sleeping habits...

I bent over the person whose jaw had gotten an uppercut fueled by nervous energy. "I'm... sorry...?"

Kirishima sat up, rolling his neck gingerly before giving me a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it! I managed to harden in time, but that was one hell of a hit!"

I gave him a sheepish smile in return, absently flicking some sleep out of the inner corner of my eye. "So... uh... what's going on here?"

"Isn't it obvious?!" Mina latched onto my shoulder from behind, talking loudly right in my ear as she continued, "We're throwing you a birthday party!"

"It didn't go as planned though..." Sero remarked.

"Yeah," Kaminari chimed in, "what's with your sleep schedule?"

I almost laughed.

"Sleep schedule." What a joke.

"You guys do know it isn't my birthday?" I ventured, shaking my shoulder loose of Mina's grip so I could get to the machine.

"Yep!" Hagakure chirped, "Mr. Aizawa mentioned something about you not knowing when your birthday is— so we all decided that today was your birthday!"

"Ah..." I nodded distractedly, as I slid my mug and pushed the button for the stream of hot water.

"We all planned everything together! We didn't think that the surprise thing would go like this, though..." Uraraka added.

"Everyone...?" I turned away from the counter, cocking my head.

"Well, we couldn't get Bakugo to join... but everyone else is here." Kirishima made a large sweeping gesture across the room.

My eyes flittingly followed the motion. Yaoyorozu gave me a small wave, Tokoyami dipped his head in a nod, Asui smiled at me, Mineta threw me a thumbs up, Koda's shy gaze dropped to the ground, Jiro lifted a hand in a rock'n'roll sign, Ojiro's lips pulled into an embarrassed smile, Shoji simply blinked at me, and Midoriya shifted from foot to foot awkwardly as my gaze swept over all of them.