Chapter 102: That's not very healthy

I had just got off the subway a couple of minutes ago, and now the bell was jangling merrily as I entered the familiar cramped shop.

A couple of days had passed since my chat with Bakugo, and Midoriya was back in class. Their fight —or, more accurately, the injuries that came from it— had reminded me that of the errand I had to run for my hero costume. I had decided that this evening would be a good time to pick up some healing serum from Mrs. Chigusa.

I took a deep inhale, and paused for a moment, standing halfway down one of the narrow aisles.

The smell of incense was surprisingly weak, and nearly overtaken by the smell of aging wood, old books, and slightly of oolong tea.

Huh. Odd...

"Ehm... hello? Mrs. Chigusa?" My voice was quiet, but still loud enough to be heard over the soft music that was playing from an old radio that I knew sat at the back of the shop. I slowly made my way down the aisle, eyes slipping over the knickknack-type items on the shelves.

"H-hello...?" A barely-audible voice came from the counter, starting off vaguely confident but fading away to a quiet question at the end.

I approached the counter now. "Who are you?"

"Um..."

The voice is coming from...

I peered over the counter, to find a boy not much older than me hiding behind it. His purple-blue hair hung over his face, not quite hiding the pointed ears he had. The hunch of his shoulders was prominently visible, and I got the feeling that he was trying to curl in on himself.

His eyes met mine, and he stood up shakily. He stared at me with an unsettling intensity, and his emotions began to increase in strength. Opening his mouth, he...

Spun away and slammed his forehead against the wall?

"I can't do this! I'm so sorry..."

I stared, dumbfounded, feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the social anxiety that had peaked, and was now washing over me.

I softened my voice as I asked again, "Who are you? You don't have to turn around to tell me, but it would be helpful if you could tell me that. And tell me about where Mrs. Chigusa is."

"T-Tamaki Amajiki. Ieki Chigusa... is my grandmother."

Ieki? I've ever heard a name like that before...

(Quick author's note about her name: the kanji for her name are 意液, which can mean will together. The combination of i and eki can also mean gastric acid. Both are purposeful. Her parents were clearly feeling a little cruel when they named her)

"But... why are you here?"

"I... check up on her occasionally. Sh-she wasn't here... and I didn't know where she was..."

His words were whispery and hesitant, and a voice in the back of my head told me to soothe him somehow. But, that would most likely make him feel embarrassed or ashamed, so I didn't make much of an effort to do so.

"Do you think she might've been arrested? For illegal use of her quirk?"

There was a moment of silence.

"It must've been my fault... because of my school... I'm so sorry grandma I got you in trouble...!"

Does he blame himself for everything? That's not very healthy for him to do...

"...it could've been my fault. I come —came, here often enough for it to be my fault."

He didn't acknowledge my statement, and silence swept over us once more.