Chapter 92: This is embarrassing

I padded quietly into the kitchen, to the silhouette of someone sitting on the counter. The flickering light illuminated a familiar head of red and white hair.

"What're you doing?"

He tensed, surprised by the sudden sound of my voice.

"I'm burning paper."

I approached the counter, placing my bag on the floor. "You're... burning paper?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"To get used to it. It's calming to watch too— knowing that I'm the one in control."

The sheet wilted in his palm, the flames dying down into glowing embers.

"Are you usually up at this time? Or do you just lurk around ready to meet me in the dark?"

"I have a habit of waking up for late night soba."

"I see..."

I watched as he crushed the clumps of ash between his fingers, letting the flaky powder fall back into his hand.

He glanced at me. "I'll be right back."

He went to the kitchen's trash can, dumping his handful of ash into the bag.

Returning, he leaned beside me at the counter.

"Are you nervous, Todo— Shoto?"

"I have no reason to be. And you have no reason to ask."

"It would be impolite of me to be so invasive, using my quirk like that."

"Yet you do it all the time."

I huffed, feeling admonished. "It's like... hearing. Sure, you can figure things out without them, if you plug your ears. But, it's much nicer to have them unplugged so you can hear what's going on around you— and it's much more comfortable too."

"Are you nervous?"

He passed it off so casually and I—

"It doesn't matter."

He turned to me, tilting his head, curious.

I purposely wasn't facing him, but I could see him from the corner of my eye, watching me.

"(Y/N)."

"Yes?" I kept my eyes trained on the ceiling.

"Nothing. I just wanted to say your name."

"Don't lie."

"I wanted you to look at me. But I did want to say your name."

I turned my head slightly, shifting slightly away from him as I cocked an eyebrow. "Why would you want to say my name?"

"Why wouldn't I? Do you not like it when I say your name? I like it when you say mine."

My eyes went wide, flicking to the floor for the briefest moment as I processed what he had just said.

My cheeks felt like they were on fire, millions of thoughts speeding through my head.

"I— um... I like it I guess, Sh-Shoto..."

This is embarrassing. This is so, so embarrassing.

"That's good. (Y/N)," He added my name almost as an afterthought, purposely emphasized.

All of a sudden I wasn't sure what to do. Where should I put my hands? Which foot should my weight be on? Should I—

I stopped myself there.

"I'm glad you like it."

He— does he know what he's doing?

His face was still in its usual poker face but...

It was then that I realized that the space I had put in between us was gone— he was close enough that I could feel his body heat.

"(Y/N)?"

Him saying my name is never going to be the same again!

I turned. "Yes?"

He was close, very very close, and Mina's words ran through my head at the most inopportune time.

"Have you done the dirty yet?"

"I-I... good night, Shoto! Sweet dreams...!"

I snatched my bag, hurrying off as quickly and quietly as I could.

Wow, someone's a chicken.

~

"Ah, I'm getting nervous!"

We had just stepped off of the bus, and were now just outside where we would be taking the exam. I had my box, carrying my new costume and equipment, secure tightly between both my arms.

I had to agree with Jiro— this was really nerve racking.

"I wonder what we'll have to do... I wonder if I can get my provisional license..."

Mr. Aizawa bent down to look at Mineta. "Mineta, it's not about whether or not you can. Go and get it!"

"Right, c-course-of!"

So nervous that he's messing up his word order?

He straightened, now addressing all of us. "If you can pass this test and get your provisional licenses, then you novice eggs will become chicks. You'll hatch into semi-pros. Do your best."

"All right, I'll become a chick!"

Did he even understand the metaphor?

"Let's all call out the usual! Ready, set— plus...!"

"Ultra!" An unfamiliar, tall boy wearing a hat I thought I recognized cut Kirishima off.

Who's he?

This chapter is shorter than usual, but I thought it would be best to end it here!

We all know who's coming next chapter!

I am SO SO excited for next chapter, because the very first scene I thought of for this book is NEXT CHAPTER. Wowow so excited.

Moving on, as you may have seen, this chapter is dedicated to what_is_social_life for the (accidental) idea that sparked the paper-burning scene! This was definitely a long t8me coming, but I wanted to give you this chapter in particular!

Anyways, nothing more to say! I hope you enjoyed! Till next time, bai Marshmalløws!

-Cøcøa-Malløw